Monday 8 January 2018

Monday, 8-1-18

Good morning.  I seem to have gathered a number of new readers since Christmas which is really lovely - a warm welcome to you and do stay around and maybe start commenting.  I try to answer every comment.

Today's plans:
B:  porridge with something sweet (might be fruit, jam, marmalade, I'll have to see how I feel when I make it) and natural yogurt.
L:  I have an extra portion of the rather tasty leek and potato soup I made yesterday so I shall have that.  It was lovely and filling.
D:  I rather fancy a fish cake or two, probably with a side salad.  It'll be made with fish (obviously), maybe some spring onions and some mash with other bits and bobs so nothing terribly complicated.  I still have plenty of salad from Aldi's Super Six and I have white cabbage and carrot for coleslaw so it should be substantial.  Or maybe I should have that last bean burger I made last week.
Ss:  apple and orange

Looks like it will be a meatless Monday, doesn't it?

From the freezer:
Having the soup stops it going in the freezer!
The fish will come from the freezer, if I add peas and corn to the fish cake, that will be from frozen too and if I breadcrumb (using the tip from Jamie, of course), the bread will also be from the freezer.  Alternatively, the burger was frozen last week.


The frugal factor:
You know I'm going to say porridge, don't you?
The soup was home made and comes out pretty cheap, given the number of portions it made.  Around 25p anyway!  I won't have anything else with it as it's jolly nice just as it is.
If I make the fish cake, I have some savers instant mash (blush) that ought to be used up so I probably will rather than cook and mash from fresh.  It's not very nice really but with all those flavours going on, it shouldn't matter as much < crosses fingers >.

So that's today.  What frugal things are you cooking/having today?


7 comments:

  1. I added you to my sidebar and looking at my stats you have had a few of my lovely blogging buddies dropping by and Following, including me 😊

    Today we are having porridge for breakfast (it's freezing cold here), homemade soup with crusty bread and pate for lunch and veggie burger/lamb steak with homegrown veggies and potatoes for tea. Our snack will be a couple of homemade scones, as requested by by birthday boy hubby.

    Every day is meat-free for me but only a couple of days a week are for hubby .... but I'm working on him 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really lovely to have more people reading and following, thank you very much for linking me like that and a warm welcome to everyone.
    Scones are so delicious - a lovely way to celebrate a birthday!
    I would like to have two fish and two non meat days each week but I do have quite a lot of meat to eat up in the freezer so it won't necessarily work out quite like that yet. Good to have a target though.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my usual banana for breakfast - this works at the start of the week until they go over-ripe for me! Lunch was a home made roll with salami, an apple and a couple of clementines. The meal plan says that dinner tonight will be pasta bolognese (the sauce being home-made and batch cooked a while ago has emerged from the freezer) which I'll add a light sprinkle of cheese to the top of I think. All good. If I remember I'll get some frozen berries from the freezer to have with a dollop of natural yogurt as a snack this evening too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes all they need is for you to blink and they go over-ripe! I have a nice recipe for banana bread and I can't remember if I've posted it yet or not. I must check!
      Your meals sound lovely.
      J x

      Delete
  4. I had porridge and spelt toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Lunch was leftover squash and sweet potato soup with a chunk of wholemeal bread (Tesco, I'm afraid) and all the chocolate i could find in my handbag (plus some of the honey pokey i brought back for my colleagues). Since getting home I'm afraid i had a lettuce and salad cream sandwich, some crisps and a biscuit. I am now cooking turkey from the freezer (£2 YS) and a small joint of pork for the birthday tea. Hope i stay away long enough to eat some! Leek and potato soup for lunch tomorrow...
    P.S. Could you use up your instant mash in soups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read stay awake! I will have to stop snacking as i am approx 4lb lighter than a month ago and i would to keep this trend going.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have done. It needs stirring in well but it works fine.
      Well done for the weight loss - excellent stuff!
      Really £2 for a turkey? How fantastic.
      J x

      Delete