Thursday 26 January 2023

Thursday, 26-01-23: low spend/no spend January

Morning, everyone!
After the emotionally and Slimming Worldily (I know - not a real word) satisfying audits of freezers and kits/sachets/etc, I decided to take a look at my shelf stable stash (try saying that after a couple of pints) and get that itemised too.  This isn't something I intend to try to use up as that's not what it is for, but I do need to check dates and actually get some idea of what I have (or don't have).

So now I know -  and it does feel good.  Satisfying to know, if you see what I mean.  There's some 'stash' and some is kitchen overflow!

Yesterday's meals:
Breakfast was just fruit, eaten on the run, so to speak.  No photo.

 The pasta leftovers had rather dried out - one of the few meals that I would say did not improve second day.  It was OK though, perfectly pleasant and edible.

I had a couple of easy peelers for afters and later on had a couple of very small apples.
Not the best photo and very beige, but the bean burgers were really nice and I'm glad I have some left for today.





Today's plans

B:  fruit and yogurt
. . . and I will have a banana before SET class
SW:  syn free

L:  left over bean burgers from yesterday, salad, chutney; fruit
They were nice and I'm glad I have leftovers.  
SW:  one healthy extra A for feta - less, in fact but I'm counting it as one and, having made the burgers, I'm counting two syns for various bits added like flour.

D:  broad bean and chick pea falafels in a pitta with roasted veg and minty yogurt dressing; yogurt
Another recipe from Cookidoo, here's the link in case you can access it.
I've never made them before but they do sound nice so fingers crossed.  I'm cutting the sesame seeds as I don't have any but might add a tbsp peanut butter powder for one syn.  I won't be frying them, I'll be spraying and air frying them and I'll reduce the recipe to half amounts.
I was going to have this with salad in the pitta but I remembered how tasty roasted root veggies were so I will air fry some squash, sweet potato and parsnip chunks with some chilli flakes, maybe, and some lime.
It sounds a bit complicated but it's simple in my mind.
SW:  one healthy extra  B for the pitta, one syn for peanut butter powder and half a syn for yogurt

Ex:  A SET class online today

Summary:
one healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
I think it is three and a half syns

What is low spend, no spend?

All I will buy through January is essentials - and by that I mean food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs.  All other foods will come out of my existing supplies and, to be honest, that may not be much of a challenge.  Also included in any low spend essentials are cleaning products and toiletries although I think I am fine for the latter.  
Also anything else essential that I won't think of until it lands!
That is the low spend part.

Everything else, unless it is either a regular bill/payment/commitment, will not happen.  No sneaky little Amazon purchases, no 'bargains' from the supermarket, certainly no clothes . . .
That's the no spend part.

No comments:

Post a Comment