Tuesday 10 January 2023

Tuesday, 10-01-23: low spend, no spend January

 Good morning, everyone.

I did my first low spend shop yesterday.  When I say 'low spend', that's a bit deceptive because it wasn't cheap, nothing is nowadays, but I did restrict myself to what was on the list, more or less, and to to my challenge.
So I came home with a load of fruit and veg.  Have I bought too much - I don't think so, not now I am right back on plan.  I also came back with the cleaning products I needed and that bumped up the price as I got two of everything, one in use and one in the cupboard, so to speak.  They were expensive and would be whatever I chose.
The two non-list things I got were a bit - er - naughty, I suppose, but won't be wasted.  One was some descaling sachets for my new coffee machine Beth got me for Christmas and the other was some coffee pods that were on sale, half price, for the same.

So - not a total success but not a failure either!

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast - and it was very tasty too.
Lunch - how I do love beans on toast.  I was hungry after circuits and this filled me up nicely with an apple afterwards.



I had some more fruit later on.
Dinner - now, it is partly the light but yes, I did give the burgers and the roll two minutes longer in the Ninja than I should have and the roll, in particular was - er - suntanned!!

The burgers were nice - I used 100g turkey mince (not chicken as I said yesterday), some finely chopped onion, two bacon medallions, finely chopped, 10g breadcrumbs, some fajita spice, salt, pepper and garlic granules plus a splash of lemon juice, squidged the lot together and shaped the mix into two patties which I (over)cooked in Nellie.

Definitely overcooked but also very tasty - I just wish I had checked it a bit sooner, that's all.

Today's plans:

B:  apple before Groove class; bacon, beans, tomato and mushroom after Groove
I have  half a can of beans left over from yesterday.
SW:  syn free

L:  mini tortilla, salad; fruit
I am going to open a can of new potatoes and use some to make the tortilla, with mushrooms, onion and bacon and some cheese on top!
SW:  one healthy extra A

D:  Vietnamese pork, rice; yogurt
My Simply Cook subscription has restarted after a month off and this is what I am having today.  I have to sub some of the ingredients - I don't have pak choy or mange tout but I do have peppers and mushrooms and some cabbage.
SW:  these are hard to work out but, after a careful look at the ingredients and the calories for one portion and, knowing that it will make me three portions for sure, I am calling it six syns.  The yogurt will be half a syn.

E:  Groove class and a Shimmy Snippet today

Summary:
one healthy extra A
no healthy extra Bs
six and a half syns

What is low spend, no spend?

All I will buy through January is essentials - and by that I mean food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs.  All other foods will come out of my existing supplies and, to be honest, that may not be much of a challenge.  Also included in any low spend essentials are cleaning products and toiletries although I think I am fine for the latter.  
Also anything else essential that I won't think of until it lands!
That is the low spend part.

Everything else, unless it is either a regular bill/payment/commitment, will not happen.  No sneaky little Amazon purchases, no 'bargains' from the supermarket, certainly no clothes . . .
That's the no spend part.

No comments:

Post a Comment