Wednesday 4 January 2023

Wednesday, 04-01-23: Low Spend, No Spend January

  Good morning, everyone.  

 I've planned to use feta today but have discovered that it actually freezes OK so I will do that with the rest in healthy A weight portions.
I need to do another freezer audit, I think, or I won't remember everything but not this week!  

Yesterday's meals:

I meant to have some fruit before Groove (which is before breakfast for me) but I forgot.  Not only did I lack a bit of energy, I also mindlessly munched on a coupl of dry cream crackers while breakfast was cooking - two syns each, darn it!  Oh well, it could have been worse.

The potato cake thingy, made with grated canned potato, a bit of turkey dripping, chopped onion and garlic granules was really tasty although it did rather fall apart when I tried to turn it.  In fact, a very tasty breakfast all round and I finished off with a couple of easy peelers.

Lunch was great.  I mixed 30g grated cheese with the contents of one of those very small cans of tuna and a tbsp onion chutney and slow spray fried the resulting sandwich.  Lovely and crunchy with a good 'mouth-feel'.
I had a bit of salad later.

Sorry, I forgot to photo dinner but it was fine - basically a simplified roast dinner.




Today's plans

B:  fruit and yogurt
SW:  half a syn for the yogurt

L: leek and potato soup, croutons; fruit
Home made and I steam the potatoes above the leek and stock and mash them so they don't go all gloopy. So much nicer, I think.
I'm going to use two slices of shop wholemeal to make some croutons.
SW:  I will add some milk to the soup for half a healthy extra A and the croutons will be a B
D:  baked feta pasta, mushrooms; yogurt
Originally a TikTok recipe that went viral, there's now a version on the SW site which I am using.  It's very easy - just bake tomatoes, onion, garlic, herbs and feta until the feta is golden.  While that's cooking, boil some pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
Stir the pasta through the tomato/feta mixture and serve.
SW:  45g feta is one healthy extra A and the yogurt is half a syn

E:  personal training restarts today

Summary:
one and a half healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
half a syn

What is low spend, no spend?

All I will buy through January is essentials - and by that I mean food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs.  All other foods will come out of my existing supplies and, to be honest, that may not be much of a challenge.  Also included in any low spend essentials are cleaning products and toiletries although I think I am fine for the latter.  
Also anything else essential that I won't think of until it lands!
That is the low spend part.

Everything else, unless it is either a regular bill/payment/commitment, will not happen.  No sneaky little Amazon purchases, no 'bargains' from the supermarket, certainly no clothes . . .
That's the no spend part.

2 comments:

  1. Writing from the US, so I use measuring teaspoons and cups, but do you weigh out your grams of cheese, etc. or do you use spoons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do both, depending. Things like cheese is always grams but small amounts of liquids tend to be spoons or mls. Things like flour or sugar can be either, depending on how much and what the recipe says.
      I tend not to use cups at all, although when I am cooking rice, I use a quarter cup rice to half a cup water.
      When it is baking - cakes or bread, for example, I weigh the flour and water in grams/mls and the salt, yeast and sugar in spoons - although I think of them in mls as well as spoons - so one tbsp is 15 mls . . .
      xx

      Delete