Sunday 26 August 2018

Sunday, 26-08-18

Good morning.
The bbq sauce was OK, not the best I've ever made but the best with no real sugar or honey added!  The turkey burgers were significantly improved by a dollop of it and I'm glad I have more of it in the freezer.
Actually the burgers weren't terrible and they certainly weren't dry!  Because of the courgettes, they were somewhat damp inside which was rather strange but next time I will use grated carrot rather than courgette.  That might be better.

The cheesy chips were lovely though.  I shall have to make sure I can 'afford' it again soon.

In a couple of comments people said they'd appreciate info about how the food fits into the SW system so I will do so - please say if it's boring though.  I know what I can be like when I get going!

Today's food.
B:  overnight oats with fruit and natural yogurt
The last portion of the three I made on Thursday.  I do love overnight oats! 
Quite frugal as the fruit is leftover fruit salad from Friday night and I have four yellow raspberries from the garden - so delicious.
The fruit is SW 'free' as is the yogurt while the milk and the oats are healthy extras.

L:  a couple of bacon medallions and some 'fried' tomato on 1/2 slice toast
I had planned frittata but right now I don't fancy it so I've changed my planning.  I fried some tomatoes in spray oil yesterday for dinner but the salmon, chips and runners were more than enough and I was totally full up!  I didn't even have room for an apple later on in the evening.  I'd planned to use cheese on the frittatas as my other half of the healthy extra so maybe I could sprinkle it over the tomatoes on toast as one is supposed to have the healthy extras - the As are for calcium and the Bs are for fibre.
The wholemeal toast will be 'synned' (I'll explain about them and about healthy extras another time).

D:  chicken balti and runner beans
The runner beans are slowing up considerably now and I won't be able to rely on them for much longer.  Very sad as it hasn't been a great crop this year so I've not been able to freeze much for the winter.
I shall load up the curry with plenty of veg including some baby corn and courgette from the allotment.  Delicious stuff.
The dinner will be all 'free' food (another SW term)

Ss:  We have apples from the allotment.  At last they are ready and they show that by coming off easily in your hand.  Not so the pears yet but give them time.  I also have plenty of tomatoes.

In fact I need to process the tomatoes today - winter passata, here we come!




4 comments:

  1. Did you use turkey breast mince or turkey thigh? I know that the breast mince is the leanest but I prefer the thigh one unless I'm mixing it with beef mince - I guess it's likely that only the breast type is recommended by SW though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember, I just defrosted the pack and used it. I'm sure you're right, the breast is leaner. What is good about turkey is that it takes on other flavours so as long as you like your spices, it's quite nice. I like the texture.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Joy, there is a blog called Pinch Of Nom and they have plenty of SW recipes all free or low syn, they are also WW pointed. The recipes I have cooked have been delicious and everyone enjoys them.
    Not sure they are particularly frugal but it won't hurt to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I have discovered them and think they're recipes are brilliant. I just wish it wasn't so heavy on the adverts. They have a supportive facebook group too.
      There's a lot of info out there once you start looking, isn't there?
      xx

      Delete