Wednesday 29 August 2018

Wednesday, 29-08-18

Good morning.

Breakfast yesterday was so, so good - I haven't had a cooked breakfast for many a long day.  It was tasty and filling and scrummy.  I decided not to do egg and I'm glad.  There was plenty without egg.


Today's plans
B:  oat pancakes with fruit and natural yogurt
You make the pancakes a bit like overnight oats, soak the oats in yogurt overnight, then next day add the other stuff.. The recipe is on the excellent (apart from the huge advert overload) Pinch of Nom site.
I shall use my own natural yogurt rather than an expensive fruit yogurt so it's pretty frugal.
http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-oat-pancakes/
SW info: free with oats as part of healthy extra B

L:  Tuna dip with vegetable batons, apple
I mix the tuna with cottage cheese and extra light mayo plus some seasonings.  I have a feeling it will make way too much for me but if it does, no problem, that is tomorrow or Friday's lunch sorted.
SW all free (apart from the mayo which will be two syns) and plenty of speed food.

D:  garlic mushroom risotto, side salad.
A new one so I will let you know.  It is supposed to be syn free as long as one uses a healthy extra A for the pecorino - or, in my case, cheaper not-parmesan!


More about Slimming World - healthy extras
These can be confusing so I'll try to explain.

Healthy extras that things that SW think really must be included in your healthy daily diet so they make them compulsory.  It's just about all the measuring/weighing you have to do (apart from syns).
There are two kinds, healthy extra A and healthy extra B

Healthy extra A
These are mainly dairy foods that help you to 'maintain a healthy intake of calcium, they include various milks including cows', goats', lactose free or almond.  You're given a specific amount for each type so you can have 175mls of whole milk or a litre of unsweetened calcium-enriched plain almond drink.
It also includes cheese and again, you are given different amounts depending on what cheese it is.
Finally, it includes measured dairy products such as Dairylea cheese wedges or Babybels.
You are expected to have one portion of healthy extra A every day and in reality you can split the portions so, for example, half a portion of milk and half a portion of grated cheese (which is what I have done sometimes this week) makes one healthy extra A
Any more and it has to be synned.  I'm having extra cheese tonight so will be working out its syn value.

Healthy extra B
These are 'foods that are a good source of fibre or contain other nutrients for a healthy balanced diet.  There's a very comprehensive list of items that include some cereals, some breads, crispbreads, bars, dried fruit, canned fruit and cooked fruit, soups, nuts and seeds.  If it ain't on the list it is not a healthy extra B and must be synned (still hate that name).
You are expected to have one healthy extra B each day and, again, they could be split.  If you have more, it must be synned.


2 comments:

  1. Your breakfast does look delicious, I will definitely try making those sausages. Thanks for the Healthy Extras explanation. It all sounds very complicated to me, I must say I remember SW being quite easy peasy back in the days when it was Red or Green days. I guess any diet will work, as long as you stick to it. Article in the paper today saying eating dairy and red meat can actually prolong life! Funny how scientists say one thing, then along comes another study which claims the complete opposite. Talk about confusing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually isn't complicated at all, it's dead easy. It's one of those things that takes some explaining. You just have to remember one A and one B every day. I agree that any diet works in the shorter term as long as calories in minus calories out is a negative number.
      I tend to ignore these 'studies' or 'recent findings' unless they appeal to my own common sense. Not necessarily right but, as you say, they contradict each other so much, what's a girl to do?
      xx

      Delete