Wednesday 8 August 2018

Wednesday, 08-08-18

Good morning.

Those tomatoes yesterday were simply delicious!  Unfortunately, they weren't very sustaining and I would usually have them with either some protein (bacon or a poached egg) or with carbs (toast, crumpet).
I'm trying to have something oaty for breakfast each day and am gradually increasing the number of things I can make or have.  At the moment there is:
muesli
porridge
overnight oats
baked oats (although I rarely have this)

Today I want to make some oat galettes.  I'll make them neutral in flavour for sweet or savoury and they should be filling as they include oatbran, egg and natural yogurt.  I'll post the recipe separately.
Must research other oat based breakfasts.  Any ideas, please?

Today's eating plans:
B:  oat galette with fried tomatoes
Tomatoes are from the garden - they are ripening fast now.  I picked them yesterday early morning and by 11:30 there were five more to pick.  No complaints!

L:  soup from the freezer - I still have some to use up from way back.
It may seem a bit odd to have soup when it has been so hot but it's there, made and needs using up and it is cooler today.

D:  pitta pizza, side salad
I have chorizo, pepper, onion and mushroom to put on the pizza so I think it will be very satisfying as well as frugal.  The pitta is from a pack of YS ones, wrapped and frozen several weeks ago now and the cheese was also bought a while ago on offer, finely grated and frozen.  I know grating cheese is no big deal but it is nice to get it all done at the same time and have it ready for when needed - a sort of time frugality!
I'm trying not to go shopping apart from the absolute essentials (such as milk) so gravel food is the way to go and pizza certainly does use up some bits and bobs. 
The salad will consist of lettuce, cucumber and tomato, the latter two being garden grown.


4 comments:

  1. The oat galettes sound good, will look forward to seeing the recipe (photo too if you can!). Yes, you definitely need some protein or carbs with the veggies, not satisfying enough otherwise, however lovely they taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze. I managed to last out the morning but I was peckish. Not a good state to be in except just before a meal, I think. It's too easy to slip although I am working on accepting that it is not the end of the world to feel hungry.

      Delete
  2. I love baked oats. I make up the single quantity, divide it between two muffin moulds, pop a couple of raspberries or blueberries in each and bake. For some reason they taste better a day later. Not keen on overnight oats but I love porridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them all really. I'll probably have more overnight oats when the weather turns chilly.

      Delete