Friday 3 March 2023

Friday, 03-03-23: more low-spend March

 Morning, everyone!

Weigh day today so my fingers are crossed.  Apart from last Friday evening, I have totally stuck to plan but you never know.

Yesterday's meals:


I really enjoyed this; it was definitely worth waiting for.  Just a two egg omelette with some sweetener and vanilla essence plus raspberries, blueberries and cinnamon bun yogurt.
It makes a good substantial start to the day's eating.
The soup was so good.  Chopped tomatoes, roasted red pepper from a jar, bit of onion, bit of carrot, bit of stock powder, salt, pepper and garlic granules, boiled up and blended down.  When I reheated it, I added some cut up lean bacon which cooked in a minute once the soup was simmering.  No croutons because I chomped two skinny crunch bars for my healthy extra instead.  My choice.
I am very pleased to say that the Korean style beef noodles ready meal was really very nice indeed.  It was a HUGE amount so I fished out all the beef (very tender and melt-in-the-mouth) to eat with some of the veg, noodles and sauce and the rest is now in the fridge and I will stir fry some chicken and some fresh veg to add to the leftovers to make another meal for lunch today.
The only reason I won't be getting another (yet) is because, as with all SW ready meals, the recipe is on the wrapping; it looks simple and uses ingredients I already have so I will be giving it a go.
I was full up so no dessert.

Today's plans:

B:  fruit and yogurt

L:  Korean-style chicken noodles; fruit
In other words, the leftovers from last night with chicken added.  I'm really looking forward to it after enjoying it yesterday evening.
I don't think I will need anything else with it but, if I find I do, I will knock up a speedy salad.
SW:  syn free

D:  cheesy bacon burgers in pitta, chips, coleslaw; yogurt
I'm making the burgers and the recipe I use makes either one great big fat burger or two thinner burgers.  I'm going for the latter.  I will use one pitta, cut into two so I have one half for each burger.  I'll see how that works anyway.
SW:  one and a half healthy extra As (cheese slices and grated cheese in the burgers), one healthy extra B, one and a half syns if I have some chutney and one syn for salad cream plus half a syn for a yogurt (if I have room for one).

Ex:  maybe a bit of a jog around the block, depending on the weather.

Summary:
one and a half healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
three syns

What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - hey are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment