Thursday 9 March 2023

Thursday, 09-03-23: more-low-spend March

 Morning, everyone!

Yesterday's meals:

OK, so the toastie plates on the new gizmo are large.  Remember how we used to need to cut off the crusts when toastie makers first came out and were bang on kitchen trend?  With this one, my bread slices are not big enough so there was a bit of leakage around the edge.  Nevertheless, it made a very nice toastie and the removable plates cleaned like a dream.
I added a slice of cheese to the grated cheese and the beans - so bread, cheese slice, beans, grated cheese, bread.  Too small or not, I will definitely be making this again.  Next time, I will try the panini plates and see how that goes.

422 calories
I added a good squirt of lemon juice and some lemon zest to the Cantonese lemon chicken leftovers and it made such a difference.  It was so lovely and lemony without losing any of the other flavours.  I have made a note in the book.
Afterwards, I had an apple.

276 calories - I double checked to make sure this was right and it was.
The peanut butter chicken pasta was lovely.  I made up enough peanut butter powder to be the same syns as the two and a half that the recipe had and it was lovely and flavoursome.  It could do with something green, just for colour.  Mange tout, maybe, or sugar snaps.

Then I had a yogurt to finish off the meal.

314 calories.  I could almost have had the lot and remained within calories but, to be honest, half was enough.  After all, SW says eat until satisfied, not until stuffed nd that's what I try to do (usually).

The daily calories were too low so I had two slices of cheese.  They completed my second healthy extra A so that was good.

Total for the day:  1100.  Still low but well over the 1000 so I'm OK with that!
I'll do two more days of checking the calories and then stop; I have to calorie count of Friday anyway.  

Today's plans

B:  French toast, fruit and yogurt
It's just sweet eggy bread and I fancy blueberries, melon and orange segments on top, with some 0% Greek yogurt on the side.  Nice!
SW:  half a healthy extra B for one slice of wholemeal bread.  The rest is speed or free

L:  leftovers of the peanut butter chicken pasta, salad; fruit
I really enjoyed this yesterday and am very pleased to have another portion.
SW:  one and a half syns for the peanut butter powder and one syn for salad cream

D:  Viking chicken, side veg; yogurt
The idea is to use the toast topping from the PoN Viking toast recipe but on top of a chicken sizzler.  I think it will be delicious.  I've prepped sprouts, broccoli and carrots to go with it.
SW:  one and a half healthy extra As for cheese 
plus half a syn for the yogurt

Ex:  I have two classes today - SET online in the morning and personal training in the afternoon.  I should sleep well tonight.

Summary:
one and a half healthy extra As
half a healthy extra B
three syns

What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - hey are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment