Wednesday 22 March 2023

Wednesday, 21-03-23: more-low-spend March

 Morning, everyone!

Yesterday's meals:

Nice breakfast.  All fruit and, I am pretty sure, all speed too.

I had a banana (not speed) before I went to Groove for energy. 
Because Groove and the two SET classes online are timed before I have my breakfast, and as I will have been fasting since 7:00 the evening before, I find I am very lacking in energy unless I have something to boost things a bit.  A banana or an apple works a treat.
The toasted wrap was nice, rather like a quesadilla really.  It would have been better with a strong flavour to pep up the chicken and cheese - sweet chilli sauce, for example, or an onion chutney.  I tad the tiniest bit of cranberry sauce left from Sunday and, while I am glad I didn't waste it, it didn't have the necessary impact.

Later on I had a nectarine.
Chicken and vegetable pasta.  Nothing special but very tasty, very filling and very satisfying.
I added a level tsp mixed seeds to it for extra 'goodness' - healthy oils, fibre, etc - as well as that lovely, nutty vibe they impart.

And that was it for the day.




Today's plans
Still working on the Sunday leftovers although I think I will need to bring into play one p[ortion of frozen chicken or turkey in stock as well - which is good.!

B:  egg on toast, tomatoes on the side
I'm going to open a can of cherry tomatoes because I can use some of the actual tomatoes for breakfast and the rest of the contents for the tomato sauce for dinner.
I'm not sure whether to have scrambled, poached or fried egg - I'll decide later.
I will spray toast the bread - it comes out so lovely and crunchy that way.
SW:  one healthy extra B

L:  one pot chicken noodles; fruit
I found this recipe on the Love Food, Hate Waste site and, as I have everything needed, I'll give it a slightly adapted whirl (real stock instead of a cube).  
SW:  half a syn for one tsp cornflour and I believe the rest is free

D:  polpette di pollo, spaghetti or other pasta, broccoli; yogurt
A posh name for chicken meatballs, I am hoping this will finish off the chicken leftovers.  It's a Jamie recipe which I will adapt slightly to make it more SW friendly (although it's really not that far away).
SW:  a bit tricky but this is close enough - half a healthy extra A, 1.5 syns for some breadcrumbs, the milk is minimal so I'm not counting it and spray oil instead of olive oil (sorry, Jamie) plus half a syn for yogurt

Ex:   personal training and I may be walking around some shops today as well

Summary:
half a healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
two and a half syns




What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - they are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment