Saturday 11 March 2023

Saturday, 11-03-23

 Morning, everyone!

It was good news yesterday - two pounds off which is the top of what I ever realistically hope for.  Also, while I wasn't Slimmer of the Week, the lady who was didn't stay and I was the next one down so I got a lovely hamper of low syn and syn free goodies, all of which is stuff I will be happy to use.  Things like beans, tomatoes, tuna, Babybel lights, fruit . . . it was quite a haul and I wish I had photoed it now.
Very low-spend helpful!

The week of calorie counting has stopped now, thankfully.  It's really very boring to have to account for every mouthful, be is cheese, break or lettuce!  However, I have noticed that it has stopped the occasional extra (usually fruit), just because I can't be bothered to weigh and record.  Lazy?  Moi??  Surely not!
Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast was just fruit and I had the two hi fi bars that were in the hamper so that's another six syns as I had already planned to use my Bs for dinner in the evening.  No photo but 209 calories

Lunch at Prezzo was lovely and very manageable.  Alex and I both had olives as a starter (I love olives and they are very good for you - healthy oil and all that) - five syns.

Then I went for penne arrabbiata with chicken (four and a half syns) and it was absolutely delicious and so filling that I've brought half home for lunch today, maybe with extra veg.  So that's two and a half syns.

Alex didn't fancy dessert and nor did I - I was very satisfied with what I had.

So that came to 488 calories and I have searched for the recipe for that arrabbiata sauce - there's plenty around although none specifically from Prezzo.  It was so good.  And because the weather was so horrible yesterday morning, I drove in rather than taking the bus so no alcohol.  😇

After all the lunchtime yumminess, I was really looking forward to a simple, comfort food dinner.  I spray toasted the bread, spread marmite over it, reheated the baked beans (about three quarters of a can), sprinkled over 30g grated cheddar and enjoyed the results so, so much.
No yogurt - I was perfectly satisfied!

553 calories


The day's total:  1,250.  I'm happy with that.

Today's plans

B:  waffles, fruit and yogurt
It's Saturday and I really fancy something nice after an early morning SET class.  Also, it will be an opportunity to try out the waffle plates on the new gizmo.
SW:  one healthy extra B for 40g wholemeal SK flour (not SW canon - it's just what I do)

L:   leftovers of penne arrabbiata with chicken with added speed veg, salad; fruit
I'm looking forward to this after yesterdays yumminess.  I'll add some cheese I think, plus some extra veg in the form of my favourites - mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes, spray fried.
SW:  two and a half syns for the pasta and half a healthy A for 15g grated cheese

D:  steak, mushroom sauce, roasted veg, chips; yogurt
I'll make the sauce with some sliced and softened chestnut mushrooms, a bit of stock, a tbsp Elmlea double and a pinch of mustard powder.
I think the veg will be sweet potato, mushrooms, onions, red peppers and tomatoes
SW:  two and a half syns for the Elmlea and half a syn for the yogurt

Ex:  early morning SET class online.

Summary:
half a healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
five and a half syns

What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - they are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment