Saturday 18 March 2023

Saturday, 18-03-23: more-low-spend March

 Morning, everyone!

I was really happy with a pound off at group yesterday.  I'm getting closer to my target although I am pretty sure that I will lower it and I must talk to Jen about this at some point soon as I'm not sure if there are any 'rules' about this.
I've been at target before, of course, but a series of 'unsettling' things created a mindset of 'comfort eating helps' (it doesn't really but . . . ) and have gained some back.  This time, as I've said before, I am focusing on enjoying this journey back to target so that when I arrive, I'm already there in my head.

Does that make sense?


Yesterday's meals:
All the photos look very beige/orange but they are packed with fruit or veg and the only 'white' thing is the rice and the prawn crackers.  The noodles are wholemeal, as is the flour I used for the waffle. 
The prawn cracker (not shown) had to be flexible syns but that's OK.


I had planned just fruit but used half a B on a waffle.  Now I have Gizmo, I can make and cook a half amount to make one.  Excellent.  I spent a few syns on some agave nectar 'sauce' which is quite like maple syrup in flavour.

The last of the Korean beef noodles and one I will definitely and certainly make again.

 This felt like a treat but is very SW friendly apart from the prawn crackers I had with it.
The rice is just basmati rice.  The sweet and sour is chicken and some frozen mixed sweet and sour vegetables while the sauce is a sachet of lower sugar sweet and sour sauce from Aldi, I think.

As the sachet was for two portions, I decided to make enough for two (one chicken fillet is plenty for two) so I have some left for lunch today.
Today's plans

B:  fruit and yogurt.
It's a busy old morning.  At half eight, I am doing an online SET class (as part of my Shimmy Snippets subscription) and a bit later on I'm meeting some friends to resume our fortnightly walks in the parks in town.
So - I will have a banana before SET for energy, an apple before the walk and I will take a couple of easy peelers to have when we stop for coffee!
SW:  no syns

L:  sweet and sour chicken with extra veg; fruit
I won't have any of the leftover rice with this.  Instead, I will stir fry some extra veg - yummy!
SW:  two syns for the sauce

D:  chilli con carne, salad; yogurt
I plan to get the last but one portion of savoury mince out of the freezer and jazz it up with chilli and mixed beans and I'll have the leftover rice with it and maybe a side salad.
SW:  the mince is free, ditto the rice, beans are also free, 15g grated cheese is half an A choice and the yogurt is half a syn

Ex:  a SET class and a walk (weather permitting)

Summary:
half a healthy extra A
no healthy extra B
two and a half syns

What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - they are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.

5 comments:

  1. Well done on the pound off, Joy. Your mindset certainly seems to be working well for you this time around. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with how it's going, thanks very much, Sooze. Loving the food and enjoying the journey so there's no 'when I get to target I can have . . . '. If I REALLY want it, I can have it now, make it work for me.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I recently checked about target. I was told that once you've set one you can lower/ raise it by any amount before you hit it. Once you're there you can only change it by half a stone at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pressed publish too soon!
      Well done on your pound off. I'm having 2 weeks off from group as my ME/CFS is flaring and playing havoc. I had a 1.5 pound gain, a 3.5 pound loss, and a 0.5 pound gain, despite doing the same things, so it was time for a break, before I threw in the towel as none of those were a true reflection.

      Delete
    2. Ah ha! Thanks, that is worth knowing.

      I'm sorry you're feeling so rough and I think you're wise to be kind to yourself. You can stick to 'the plan' without needing to weigh - on fact, it's an opportunity to get away from those pesky scales and just concentrate on what's good for you (not saying weighing is not good, just that there's a time and a place . . . )

      Take care and I hope you feel loads better soon. xx

      Delete