Monday 6 March 2023

Monday, 06-03-23: more-low-spend March

 Morning, everyone!

Every now and again, I do a couple of days of just checking the calories while still following SW guidelines.  I counted the calories yesterday and, while I'm not going to bore you with all the details, the total calories for each meal are with the photos.  
I use Nutracheck.
Yesterday's meals:


I do love an egg on a potato waffle!

168 calories


A nice, un-fancy plate of Sunday dinner.  In the end, I got a bit of frozen tropical fruit out to go on the bacon and gave the mustard a miss.

Later on, I had a plum and a pear.

442 calories including the fruit



This was the Viking toast from 'Enjoy' and it was lovely.  I did have a heavier piece of wholemeal from the loaf I cooked earlier so it was a B and two syns and I spread some marmite on the toast before spreading over the cheese mixture.

Again, I had no room for anything else.

569 calories

Total calories:  1,209


Today's plans

B:  fruit and yogurt
SW:  I will use 0% natural yogurt so syn free

L:  cheese and onion toasties, salad, coleslaw; fruit
It would be nice if the new waffle, etc maker arrived early so I could try it out but no problem if it doesn't.
SW:  one and a half healthy extra As, one healthy extra B, one syn for salad cream in the coleslaw

D:  bangers, potato kugel, baked beans, roasted tomatoes; yogurt
On Gill's blog (the Canadian Woman https://thatbritishwoman.blogspot.com/2023/03/potato-kugel.html ), she posted a photo of a potato dish I have never heard of.  It looks very unSlimming World friendly but the lovely Vikkie from Tastefully Vikki has worked out a more friendly version which I am reducing down in amount to go with some Kelly's turkey sausages.
SW:  eight syns for two sausages and half a healthy extra A for 15g cheese

Ex:  Circuits class and Lindsey's morning energiser

Summary:
two healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
nine syns

What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - hey are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.

2 comments:

  1. That potato kugel recipe looks good, could use other root veggies too I guess. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could. I think parsnips would be nice and mixing in some shredded sprouts or cabbage might be good too. I'm looking forward to trying it today. Or use spices or herbs for a different vibe.
      It does look tasty, doesn't it?
      xx

      Delete