Friday 24 March 2023

Friday, 23-03-23: more-low-spend March

 Morning, everyone!

Weighday today and, as usual, I have no idea but live in hope because I've stuck to plan pretty well this week.

Yesterday's meals:

Only one rather boring photo from yesterday because . . .
breakfast was just an apple before SET and a pear afterwards and
lunch was eaten in a nice garden centre café and it was pretty full so - just no!

Dinner probably looks a bit dull but it tasted absolutely amazing.  Chicken and a selection of veg, spray fried and then mixed with a portion of peshwari sauce and (almost) burnt - I just caught it in time.  You can see a few black bits but they didn't taste scorched, thankfully

It was filling so no room for anything else.


For lunch, as there were no calories on the menu, I just went for a cheese and tomato toastie which has a small salad attached.  It was nice, with wholemeal bread and not loads of cheese and I don't believe there was any butter or oil on the bread, certainly not enough to detect anyway.

But how on EARTH can a toastie and a small coffee come to more than £10.  Sign of the times, I guess, but really - two slices of bread, a tomato, some cheese (not that strong) and salad and coleslaw about a quarter of the size I make myself (OK, so I do go overboard on salad!) plus quite a small black coffee (but a really good one, to be fair).  Eye watering!

Today's plans

B:  a nice fruit platter
Maybe I can take a photo of this.
I will take some orange segments with me to group and have the rest after group.
SW:  syn free

L:  cheesy meatball pitta, coleslaw, salad; fruit
The two meatballs left over from Wednesday plus some cheese and some chutney, sort of toasted in a wholemeal pitta.  I'm looking forward to this.
SE:  half an A for cheese in both the meatballs and the cheesy mash (dinner), half a syn for olives (in the meatballs), one and a half for chutney and one for salad cream in the coleslaw.  Oh, and one and a half  healthy extra As for cheese and one B for the pitta.

D:  cheesy chicken and ham pie, veg on the side; yogurt
From several days ago, portions frozen.
SW:  The Aldi canned chicken in white sauce that I used for this is just too little per portion to count and I counted the cheese at lunchtime.  Also, half a syn for the yogurt.

Ex: a rest day

Summary:
two healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
three and a half syns

What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - they are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment