Sunday 26 March 2023

Sunday, 26-03-23: more-low-spend March

 Morning, everyone.

I'm starting with a photo.


I found this idea on Diane Buswell's vlog.  It's so simple but really nice.
It's fruity frozen yogurt bark.  All you do is spread yogurt on some parchment on an over tray, add fruit, etc, and freeze.
I used plain yogurt and also sprinkled on some mixed seeds as well as the fruit.  It was a bit rough and ready but tasted like a treat.
Because yogurt freezes very hard, you can eat it like chocolate bark (but more quickly).
I did find that just plain yogurt frozen was a bit tasteless so next time I will try it with a Mullerlight or sweeten it up with skinny syrup, etc.

Yesterday's photos:

 More fruit for breakfast - on a waffle.  Lovely!
Pasta bake and some coleslaw - I decided not to make salad as well.

In the afternoon, I had to do some online school governor online safeguarding training.  It was a bit of a brain ache and I felt rather stressed afterwards, wolfing down a rather chunky cheese and salad cream sandwich before coming to my senses, thinking 'What ARE you doing?!?'.

So to compensate, I decided to adapt dinner by cutting the chips and swapping the crème fraiche for some natural yogurt.

It was the right decision.  I didn't have all the chicken and veg fajita mix so that sorts out tea tonight.
I didn't miss the chips one bit, nor the crème fraiche.  Who needs chips anyway!
And I didn't want any yogurt.

OK, so I will be over syns and over deficit calories but not, I think over maintenance so that's good, I'm pleased how quickly I regained control and sorted it out.
Getting there . . .





Today's plans:

B:  potato waffle, bacon, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms
It's the last of the Birds Eye potato waffles from the freezer and now they've gone I want to try making some using Gizmo.
SW:  two syns for the potato waffle.  The rest is speed/free

L:  roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roasted sweet potato, parsnip and courgette, broccoli and cauliflower; fruit
Two things to say about this.  Firstly, I really fancied some roast beef but didn't want to get a whole joint with all the leftovers it would give me so I bought a pack of cooked topside from the deli shelf and will use that.  Cunning!
The other is that I'm going to try making Yorkshires in Nellie.  According to YouTube, it can be done and I will use some little pudding moulds, silicon cake cases and the equal quantity method.
This time, I am using plain white flour and synning it, plus half a tsp oil in each mould, so, assuming I get five, that's two syns each.  Two for Sunday lunch and three for the freezer.  I'll count the milk as part of a healthy A with the cheese I have for dinner.
If that works, I might try wholemeal flour another time and then I can count it as a healthy extra (not SW canon but sensible)
SW:  Assuming I get five, that's four syns for two Yorkshires and one syn for ten mls horseradish.  I have some free beef gravy in the freezer (from a can of M&S chunky steak) and the rest is all speed and free

D:  chicken fajita wrap, salad; yogurt
SW:  healthy extra B for a wrap, half a healthy extra A (10g cheese plus the lunchtime milk) and one and a half syns for one tbsp lighter crème fraiche plus half a syn for yogurt

Ex:  rest day

Summary:
half a healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
nine syns - unless the Yorkshires are rubbish, in which case it's five syns

What do I mean by low spend?

At the beginning of this year, as part of a de-cluttering thing, I did a detailed audit of all the food I had in cupboards, fridge and freezer and was somewhat horrified at how much stuff I had.
So I determined to make a huge effort to reduce it down and use it up with minimal waste.

January and February were no spend and low spend months respectively.  March is going to be another low spend month with just a few exceptions and, of course, all the essentials.  It has got to work with Slimming World.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries as needed.  A few other things will come up through the month but generally it is just real essentials as I see 'essential'.
Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual - they are essential.

It's really helping in these difficult times.  I am still able to save a wodge of my income (which is all pensions now) as I have done since I retired, plus a bit more.  After all, at some point, I will have to start replacing things - just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment