Monday 20 March 2017

Simple and frugal salad ideas

I love salads but tomatoes are expensive, lettuce is expensive, peppers . . . etc, at the moment and really can't be fitted into a pound a day budget

I took a wee look at what I have in the fridge right now and I can make three different salad things straight off that will up my fruit and veg and give crunch to my diet.

Coleslaw - nice and simple, just finely shredded white cabbage and diced carrot with mayo.  Add a bit of curry paste for a different flavour.  Also lovely with some chopped apple or a small handful of dried fruit.
A white cabbage might look expensive but it is tight, compact and you get so many portions from it, it becomes very frugal.
(actually, just shredded/grated/spiralised carrot with maybe a lemony dressing is super delicious too)

I noticed that the chives are coming up nicely in the herb bed so - potato salad.  The sauce can be half and half mayo and natural yogurt and I make it nice and simple - just potato, sauce and chopped chives.  Lovely!

I love crunchy salads and I still have some Aldi cauliflower from their super six.  I shall cut off some little florets, finely chop a bit of carrot and a bit of onion (red would be nice but I don't have any so white will do).  Then I shall mix up a simple dressing with lime juice (from a bottle), a bit of honey, a bit of olive oil, a smidgen of garlic puree and a flake or two of salt and pepper, just enough for one so tiny amounts.

All these can be jazzed up with nuts, seeds, etc, but I'm sticking to frugal!

No comments:

Post a Comment