Tuesday 26 June 2018

Recipe: Mary Berry's West Country gratin

I was very angry at myself for letting things slip so much yesterday and stomped into the kitchen where I found the potato and carrot I had started to prepare for yesterday's dinner (and popped in the fridge, fortunately, as it had been so hot).  I thought 'I'm not wasting those' and set to to make the recipe anyway to chill and have tomorrow evening.  I can't have it this evening as I have a vegetarian eating with me and it's not vegetarian.

Anyway, I banged around. still in a right temper and what came out was really delicious so I'm sharing the link and what I changed - and I'm calming down now!

Here's the link.
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/west_country_gratin_08209

I reduced the quantities down because I wanted a portion for one.

I missed out the butter because I was using some chorizo I have to use up as well as some bacon bits so I dry fried the chorizo until the oil came out and then added the leeks and bacon.

Instead of using flour to thicken, I added the apple juice, heated to simmering, then used thickening granules (which is basically potato flour) and added the milk last.

I added a bit of marigold bouillon powder.

That's as far as I got.  It's now cooling and I will cover and chill before reheating in the microwave, spraying with oil and grilling as per the last sentence in the recipe.

It's very, very tasty!  Good old Mary.

5 comments:

  1. The gratin sounds delicious and the tiny slip up yesterday was only a small glitch in your plans - if only I was so restrained when going 'off the rails'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been going on a bit longer than one day on and off but yesterday was the last straw. Sometimes getting angry and disgusted with myself can be a good thing, it depends what it leads to really.

      It's lovely and one of those extremely adaptable recipes which I appreciate.

      Delete
  2. Its sounds lovely. I made a Delia "frugal" potato veg bakey thing last week... Probably won't bother again! Your recipe sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much looking forward to having it tomorrow. :-)

      Delete
  3. It was very, very tasty indeed. Another that will reappear!

    ReplyDelete