Thursday 28 June 2018

Thursday, 28-06-18

Good morning.

Another good day yesterday, only spoilt by munching some walnuts in the evening.  It could have been a lot worse so no complaints.

The west country gratin was absolutely delicious.  Maybe chilling it for a day developed the flavours, I don't know, but that, with almost the last of last year's runner beans, was a dinner to die for.  Well, nearly, anyway!  Another one for the 'make quite often' list!

I've rather taken to the nutritional yeast (shame about the uninspiring name); it really does add a certain something to the flavour.  Not exactly 'cheese' but something close. 

Today's plans:
B:  overnight toffee oats with natural yogurt and blueberries (just eaten and it was delicious - overnight oats is porridge without the messy saucepan really)
L:  Alex is home from uni and coming for lunch.  I will do fish and chips for him which will deal with the 'bad' buy from earlier in the week and I will have mini frittatas with salad.  Al doesn't like eggs so no problems!
D:  foil baked chicken, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, salad leaves; frozen fruit dessert
S:  apples x 2
E:  aqua

From the freezer:
The fish and chips that Al is having for lunch and the chicken and dessert (will post separately about this) for dinner.

The frugal factor
For once, breakfast is not so frugal because I used half a mullerlight toffee yogurt to make the oats, plus bought blueberries.  Ever so tasty though.
The frittatas will use up some 'fridge rubble' before the weekend plus eggs that really do need using soon.
The salads will be very simple.  Some leaves from a pot of living lettuce (great value), cucumber, tomato and some wonky pepper.
Even the fish and chips is sort of frugal because I'm using what I have in but not eating it myself because the items are higher calorie and not great for me.  Fine for a hungry young man though.

Feeling more optimistic again now.  Maybe things are on the move again.  Maybe . . .

2 comments:

  1. I spoilt many an 'on plan' day with walnuts! My husband (much more disciplined than I) has 8 halves them on his breakfast every morning. I find them irresistible and wish he would get fed up with them so that they weren't in the house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very more-ish and healthy too so what's not to love? Just a shame about the calories! :-)

      Delete