Friday 20 September 2024

Friday, 20-09-24, subcutaneous fat and Eat-Your-Syns-Day

Good evening, everyone!  
Weigh in earlier and half a pound on - nothing, when you think I started back at fitness classes this week and did four classes.  I'm very happy with that.

It's the day for enjoying a few more syns - but only if I want to.  And I did, mostly nuts . . . and evoo!   I can have double syns a couple of times a week at target and that makes me feel almost rich!  Back to normal tomorrow.

What I ate today

Today's fruit was strawberries, a kiwi and a pear.  I mixed chia seeds into the yogurt and sprinkled over mixed seeds.
Two syns for seeds.

Later on I had some mixed nuts for one healthy extra B - you don't get many so I nibble them slowly.  

When it came to lunch time, I didn't want the planned waffles, etc, I wanted a nice, fresh Greek salad with feta and olives so that's just what I had.
And it was lovely.
One healthy extra A for feta, one and a half syns for olives, six syns for the h.m. salad dressing and one syn for some mixed seeds sprinkled over.

Afterwards, I had an orange.
Then I had some more nuts - a B and four syns - they are awfully synful, nuts are.
And then I had some feta - a healthy extra A

I still fancied fish and chips for dinner though.

Very simple, very easy and very delicious.

I'm pretty sure it was five and a half syns for the fish and oil was three syns.

And that was that
The afternoon was nibbly but I was full come the evening.

Summary:
two healthy extra As
two healthy extra Bs
twenty three syns
(remember - it is Eat-Your-Syns-Day)
My meal plans for tomorrow:

B:  fruit taken on a walk

L: chicken pasta bake, salad; fruit (I have friends round)
There may be leftovers for the freezer

D:  tuna and bean Mediterranean salad; fruit

Exercise:  a walk

The Extra Bit

I looked up subcutaneous fat.

''The top layer of your skin is the epidermis. The middle layer is the dermis. Subcutaneous fat is the deepest layer.
Subcutaneous fat has five main functions:
It’s the one way that your body stores energy.
It functions as a padding to protect your muscles and bones from the impact of hits or falls.
It serves as a passageway for nerves and blood vessels between your skin and your muscles.
It insulates your body, helping it regulate temperature. 
It attaches the dermis to the muscles and bones with its special connecting tissue.

Everybody is born with subcutaneous fat. Aside from genetics, people typically have greater amounts of subcutaneous fat if they:
eat more calories than they burn  no
are sedentary  no
have little muscle mass  hmm - maybe . . . not little but it registered as low
get little aerobic activity  no
have diabetes  no
are insulin dependent   no  ''
(italics my additions, of course)

Looks like it is a question of ratio to some extent and, as we enter autumn and the weather gets colder, given that I feel the cold a lot more than I used to anyway, I don't think I am going to fuss about this but just focus on muscle mass and strength.

1 comment:

  1. Another very interesting & lovely blog Joy! Ty! Your meals always look so scrumptious! I love the tuna/bean salad idea yum! Hugsxx ❤️ Roe

    ReplyDelete