Tuesday 10 September 2024

Tuesday evening, 10-09-24 and some salad dressing ideas

Good evening, everyone!  
When I put together the tuna bean salad, it definitely needed something to brighten it up and I didn't want to use mayo so I Googled (one of my best friends/tools, for sure) and found loads of ideas, a few of which I have reproduced below just as lists of ingredients.



What I ate today

I enjoyed breakfast.  I decided to go autumnal with my fruit and used apple (from the freezer, apples given to me by friends), a couple of plums and a pear with chia seeds in the yogurt and pumpkin seeds sprinkled over.
One syn for the seeds.

Lunch was a bean, tuna and walnut salad (plus side salad) made with a small can of tuna, mixed chickpeas and haricot beans, chopped red pepper and red onion, black olives (one syn) and some capers for a real pop of flavour, plus 15g walnuts, chopped a bit smaller.  Oh, and I used tuna in sunflower oil which I drained so that's four syns.
 I made the dressing which I have added at the bottom of The Extra Bit, I used the lot and it was delicious.
For dessert, I had some melon as it really did need using up.
One healthy extra B for the walnuts four syns for the tuna and and six and a half syns for the dressing (six for the evoo).

Bit high on the old oil so far today.  Just as well I can have extra syns when in my happy zone - well, I can anyway but you know what I mean!

I'm not sure what to make if this recipe, baked prawns with feta.  For a start, the portions were enormous and I wonder if there was a type and it should have said serves 4, not 2.  I made a quarter, more or less and it was loads.
I'm not terribly fond of prawns but I think with chicken, pulses or salmon, it would really be quite nice.
I don't have pomegranate molasses but I googles and it said balsamic vinegar and maple syrup would be an OK sub so I did.
What really shocked me was that it said six tbsp - yes, tbsp, not tsp - of olive oil.  That's three per portion.  I mean, no way!!
Anyway, I adapted and it was OK but I won't make it again with prawns.
No dessert.  Neither wanted nor needed it.

I used two syns worth of evoo, half a tsp maple syrup is negligible but let's call it half a syn and the feta was a healthy A

Summary:
one healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
thirteen syns (nine and a half was for evoo and healthy fats)
My meal plans for tomorrow:

B:  fruit and yogurt, maybe seeds

L:   h m hummus, focaccia toast fingers, crudités, side salad; fruit

D:  grilled chicken and veg orzo salad; fruit

Exercise:   a walk

The Extra Bit

I was on the lookout for a dressing to go with the tuna and bean salad and here's a few I found.  I'll just post the ingredients - essentially it is oil and acid (vinegar, lemon juice, etc) in the proportions 2/1 and the rest is to taste.
Whisk or shake together, taste and adjust.
(evoo is extra virgin olive oil, by the way)

Disclaimer - I haven't tried them all - they just look a likely proposition for different flavours!

Vinaigrette:
evoo
lemon juice
white or red vinegar (or others if you fancy - apple cider or sherry maybe)
honey
dijon mustard
rated or crushed garlic
dried oregano
dried basil (I won't!)
salt and black pepper

A simple yogurt dressing
lemon juice
cumin
yogurt
sweet chilli sauce
(no oil!)

A simple honey lemon dressing
evoo
lemon juice
honey
salt and pepper
(maybe add a bit of mustard too)

Peanut butter salad dressing with Asian vibes
evoo
rice vinegar
peanut butter (I will use peanut butter powder and a splash of water)
soy sauce
sweet chilli sauce
parsley or coriander, chopped finely
lime juice

And another one for luck
smooth peanut butter (or PBP and water)
grated ginger
grated garlic
soy sauce
sesame oil (just a little)
lime juice
splash water for consistency

Just be aware that measuring what you use and synning is essential if you're on Slimming World but made from fresh is loads better for you than pre-made from the shop, loaded with 'rubbish' ingredients (especially the 'lighter' kinds).  I'm happy to pay the syns.

And finally - the one I made today for lunch with amounts.
one tbsp evoo - six syns
half a tbsp apple cider vinegar
a quarter tsp each of Dijon mustard and maple syrup (half a syn total)
some garlic puree
salt and black pepper
Put everything in a small pot with a lid and give it a good shake.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely combinatin ,of food ,I stay away from oil ,always did ,not that I don't love it ,maybe when I get to Maintaine ,I start using it ,Tky for your blog but just that you know this is Joan 😅♥️😅,sorry cannot change the anyoymous 😅but

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started adding healthy oils and fats to my diet because of an issue with 'bad' cholesterol. Olive oils, healthy fats from fish, avocado, nuts and seeds - they all help to eliminate bad cholesterol and encourage good cholesterol. That's my understanding anyway.
      I am monitoring it very carefully though, because I don't want to undo all the hard work involved in getting back into my happy zone of weight, hence all the numbers, etc. I'm not paranoid, I'm just being careful and accountable.
      It seems to be working so far but early days . . .

      Don't worry about the anonymous bit - just sign with your name and then I will know it is you! :-) And thank you for your comment. xx

      Delete
  2. Loving the salad dressing ideas Joy! I took screen shots of them. Thank you. You know I love my salads lol. Lovely healthy meals as per usual! HugsXx ❤️ Roe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Roe. :-) A tasty dressing makes the world of difference, doesn't it? xx

      Delete