Friday 13 September 2024

Friday evening, 13-09-24 - eat-your-syns-day

Good evening, everyone!  

Weigh in today for the first time in a fortnight.  I really wasn't sure because I have increased the syns quite considerably, albeit nearly all heart-healthy oil, fish oil, nuts and seeds.

So I got on those scaled with some trepidation and was absolutely delighted to see I had lost two and a half pounds, taking me down to a pound below target weight and in the lower half of my Happy Zone.
I am so, so happy about that.

What I ate today

Breakfast was overnight oats - 20g oats, one tsp chia seeds, one tsp pumpkin seeds, a splash of milk, strawberries, raspberries and some mixed nuts.  Very Med!
A bit of a healthy extra A, half a healthy extra B for oats, one and a half syns for the seeds and one and a half Bs for the nuts.
(so two Bs altogether)
A naughty looking but still healthy lunch - under all that good stuff is a waffle made with 20g oats, one medium egg, some Greek yogurt and some skinny syrup.
And then drizzled over one tbsp maple syrup.
It was SO filling!
So half a B for the oats, two syns for the maple syrup and the rest is speed and free.  I know I have already had two Bs but that's OK, as a target member, I can.

Later on, I had some mixed nuts.  I didn't weigh them so have no idea but it is Eat Your SYns Friday and I can have extra syns anyway so I'm not fussed.

After the nuts, I truly didn't want anything else, not even chips, so I didn't.
Four syns for evoo and one and a half for olives.

Summary:
part of a healthy extra A
two and a half Bs
nine syns plus whatever the nuts were.  I don't think it will have taken me over thirty which is what I could have had as a target member.

And I am still losing weight so I obviously have quite a lot of leeway.
My meal plans for tomorrow:

B:  fruit, yogurt, nuts and seeds

L: bean and coconut soup, focaccia for dunking; fruit
I have the soup base and, to it, I thought I would add some Thai spices, some mushrooms, peppers and some coconut milk.  Very fusion!

D:  tagliatelle with smoked salmon
I found this in one of my new BBC Good Food books, Cheap Eats, p68 (the Kindle version) but I can't find it on line.  I might make the tagliatelle too - make it wholewheat.  I have Beth and Alex over for Sunday lunch and plan to do something pasta-ish so I can use 200g flour which will make enough for both meals.

Exercise:   A good walk.  

The Extra Bit

I am now a full three weeks into doing Slimming World the Mediterranean way.  How's it all going?
Well . . .   

I've got used to more syns spent on healthy oils and fats - evoo, olives, fish, nuts and seeds - and, providing I keep a tally of what I'm having, I'm no longer feeling resistant to them like I was three weeks ago, in fact a like adding them and they make a big flavour/texture difference.

I thought I was pretty plant based before (and I was, sort of) but I realise I'm now so much more.  I'll never be totally vegetarian but I'm eating less saturated fat than I was which has got to be a good thing.

The meals are absolutely scrumptious.  I have had one meal I wouldn't want to have again but everything else has been amazing.  I can certainly carry on with this for the rest of my life.

Ironically, the one reason I started this new 'journey' is the one I have no idea about and won't for another nine weeks or so.  Thankfully, it is no hardship to keep to it - quite the opposite - so I can be patient about this particular outcome.

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you, Joy, very well done. This new way of eating obviously suits you. Sooze xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks, Sooze. This summer has been quite hard work but I'm there and absolutely determined to get the cholesterol down (assuming diet can do it, of course) so on we go.
      I'm enjoying it very much indeed. xx

      Delete
  2. So happy ,you are enjoying this Mediterranean diet πŸ˜„,You started me on nuts and oil ,but haven't got around how they are used in Bs ,as I don't have an slimming world app .Here in Malta is pointless as we don't have anything like in your shops ,but love slimming world 😘so I learn from little here and there you guys say or do .but you are a marvel😁😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be difficult when all the foods are different but I think you can assume just about all fruit and veg are speed and/or free, most grains are either B or a free, lean protein is free . . . I should think the general princip[les still apply.
      I'll look up some values of seeds, grains, etc, and put them in The Extra Bit next post.
      And thank you so much for your kind words.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job on your loss! Well done Joy! Your food always looking amazing. Funny I took cod fillets out to make yesterday. I had planned on making it very similar to the way you did. I am going off of a Christmas eve dinner recipe that my grandfather many every year, using bacala. Hugsxx ❤️ Roe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roe. It was a very simple way to cook the fish but very tasty and satisfying.
      What is bacala, please? xx

      Delete