Monday 16 December 2019

Monday, 16-12-19

Good morning.
It's back on the waggon after a day of slight indulgence.  Not nearly as bad as it could have been but still, a bit off plan.  Never mind.
I was so pleased that there was a bit of bean and veg chilli and half a jacket potato left but later on Beth scoffed the lot for supper.  Never mind, I can make some more and I will at some point as it was really very nice indeed.

Another of my cholesterol lowering/statins avoiding strategies is to have an enriched mini yogurt drink each day.  It doesn't have to be Benecol, the brand leader and expensive.  Supermarkets do their own versions which, I am sure, are just as good and loads cheaper.  I'm getting Morrison's at the moment and I think they are rather nice

I looked up the whole Benecol thing and found articles/advice from various years,  The message is that in the earlier articles the advice was that it was a waste of money and doesn't help, whereas in the most up to date information the opinion (based on 'research' but they rarely say what that research is and who commissioned it but the sites are reliable, I think) is that if you have no problems with higher cholesterol then, yes, it's a waste of money, there's no preventative effect but, if you do then they do seem to make a positive difference.
This goes for all foods enriched with sterols and stanols.
So now I know!

Today's plans are:
B:  porridge with blueberries and natural yogurt, mini yogurt drink
SW:  half a healthy extra A, one healthy extra B and two syns

L:  a toastie with tuna mayo and a simple side salad
The tuna mayo is leftovers from yesterday and there's plenty, enough for dinner too.
SW:  another healthy extra B and two syns for the bread, the other half heA for some grated cheese (20g) and a couple of syns for the mayo (this last is hard to work out and I'm over-estimating really)

D:  jacket potato with the rest of the tuna mayo, sprouts and broccoli
I need some green veg so, while this might sound a bit of an odd mix, it should work.
SW:  I'm just totting up what I've allowed for syns in the tuna mayo and I think one more syn should more than cover it.  The rest will be free.

Today is, obviously, a fish day and a one A and two Bs day
All eaten between nine am and seven pm.


4 comments:

  1. Older but very wide recearch summary about plant stanols and sterols:
    https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.2903/j.efsa.2009.1175

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really helpful and interesting - thanks very much.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Research is a strange thing as its invariably conflicting. My ethos now is to eat as naturally as possible that cuts out lots of additives and other stuff that may be harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good you managed a 14 hour fast yesterday. I find it is hard to eat dinner early enough, especially if I have to go somewhere early the next morning. You seem to be managing that pretty well.

    ReplyDelete