Friday 24 February 2023

Friday, 24-02-23: low spend February

 Morning, everyone!

Weigh in and, after last Fridays - er - family booze-up, I'm not expecting much but a little bit would be nice.  
Fingers crossed.

It's also a taster session to celebrate February Free Food Festival - which is a bit of a (syn free) mouthful at the best of times.  There's a competition if you want to take part which is to submit something that just contains speed and free foods and is totally original.  We then vote on the one we like best and that goes forward to a regional thingy and then nationally.  I've taken part twice and 'won' twice, just for our group.  I had a few ideas this time but one has turned out not to be 'original' and the other contains some healthy extra A because I thought you could use healthy extras.
I can't be bothered to think of anything else; I've done my share and got the stickers, certificates and tea towels to prove it so last night I just put together a really, really nice fruit salad with some yogurt on the side.  It's absolutely my favourite breakfast and I'm hoping there will be some left over.  There usually is.
And I'm looking forward to seeing what others bring.
Yesterday's meals:
Breakfast - self explanatory really!

Lunch -leftovers of the chicken pasta bake and instead of cheese on top, I stirred in a quarter pot of Seriously Cheddar lighter for half a syn.

I rubbed a cut clove of garlic over both sides of a slice of wholemeal, sprayed both sides and toasted it.  Not completely garlic bread but there was a very pleasant garlicky vibe to it.

Later on, I had an apple.  


Dinner was a portion of the peshawari-style sauce I made last weekend.  I added chicken, red pepper and a selection for 'tropical' fruit - mango, pineapple and grapes and it really was very nice indeed.  It would have been nice with rice but I'd already had double carbs at lunchtime so better not to.

I goofed with the chicken though.  I thought I had got out a small piece of chicken but when I unwrapped it to slice and cook it, it was chicken mince, darn it!
I was able to get out, quickly thaw and use a chicken sizzler but I now have to change tomorrow's planning in order to use up the mince.  

That was it for the day as I was full up.

Today's plans

B:  SW taster session . . .
 . . . so goodness knows but it should all be low syn as them's the rules!
SW:  no idea yet

L:  cheesy chicken mince fritters with broccoli, salad; fruit
I searched for chicken mince recipes and stumbled across this one.  
It's American, a basic burger/meatball type recipe but it looks nice  and they are baked (or, maybe, ninja-ed.  They just appealed when I was looking.
I can serve them on a bed of lettuce and other salad veg.
SW:  it's a bit of a guess but I am estimating a bit of a B for some breadcrumbs (I don't have panko but I do have wholemeal), one A for cheese and that's it really.

D:  Greek-style baked chicken; yogurt
I do get through a lot of chicken, don't I?
This is from the SW Fast Feasts book, p 92, and sounds really nice.  I'll let you know.
The only thing I am changing is that it asks for green olives and I think I only have black ones.
SW:  one healthy extra A for feta and ne and a half syns for eight olives (in brine, not oil).  The rest looks to be speed or free.  Then half a syn for yogurt, if I have a dessert.

Ex: probably a rest day.

Summary:
two healthy extra As
a bit of a healthy extra B
two and a half syns plus whatever I have at taster.

What do I mean by low spend?

February is a low spend month.

Through January, I spent very little on non essential food and other items.  The idea was to spend nothing on non food things and I didn't quite achieve that but I was happy with how it went, all the same.
I was so pleased to be able to make some charitable donations as a result; it's so nice to see positive outcomes.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries although I think I am fine for the latter, plus anything necessary that comes up through the month

As for all other spending, there are a few items I need but not an awful lot so I'm really hoping it will also be low spend.

(Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual)


No comments:

Post a Comment