Wednesday 15 February 2023

Wednesday, 15-02-23: low spend February

 Morning, everyone!

Gaps are starting to appear in the freezer - not enough to reorganise and start transferring from one to the other yet, but getting there slowly.  There are things I am going to need to get at some point as I use them all the time.  For example, I'm nearly out of chicken and I have just taken the last two portions of pork mince out to make something for tomorrow.  Frozen veg, too, is something that I will keep topped up.
The low-spend can and will continue for some months but we're getting there - slowly!
Yesterday's meals:

Followed by a pear, this was a lovely breakfast . . .

. . . and this was a lovely lunch.
In the end, I shredded some of the turkey and mixed it with 45g finely grated cheddar and one tbsp of Nando's lemon and herb peri peri sauce which was just enough to tickle the tongue.   I spread that over half the WW wrap, folded the other side over and pray cooked it in my ridged pan to melt the cheese and get those char lines.

Later on, I had another pear (they are now just ripe so need eating quickly)

I was sure I took photos of diner but there was nothing on the camera so I obviously didn't.  It was the rest of the curry from Monday with what was left of the rice mixed in and cauliflower and broccoli on the side and it was very nice.
Today's plans

B:  bacon, mushroom and tomato omelette
I have eggs to use up and I haven't had an omelette for ages.  Two eggs, I think!
It won't look pretty but should taste great!
SW:  should be syn free

L:  beans on toast; fruit
As it's lunch, I will go the whole hog and have two slices of toast although I doubt I will be able to work my way through the whole can of beans!
I'll probably add a tbsp brown sauce to the beans; I do like that!
SW:  one healthy extra B and half a syn

D:  turkey carbonara, something veggie on the side; yogurt
This will use up the last of the turkey, to which I will add some finely chopped and softened onion, some mushrooms and some bacon.  As always, the sauce will be beaten egg and grated cheese, hard Italian for choice, I think, and I will consider adding a tbsp Elmlea as well because a) I have the syns, b) I have to use up the Elmlea and c) it will taste lovely!
I'm not sure about the side yet but am thinking tomatoes and mixed peppers.  Any better ideas?
SW:  up to two healthy extra As for cheese, the Elmlea is two and a half syns and the yogurt is half a syn.

Ex:   maybe a bit of running around the garden - I have to start Couch to 5K at some point, don't I?

Summary:
up to two healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
three and a half syns

What do I mean by low spend?

February is a low spend month.

Through January, I spent very little on non essential food and other items.  The idea was to spend nothing on non food things and I didn't quite achieve that but I was happy with how it went, all the same.
I was so pleased to be able to make some charitable donations as a result; it's so nice to see positive outcomes.

'Essential' means  food such as fresh fruit, veg and dairy/eggs and other essentials including things like cleaning products and toiletries although I think I am fine for the latter, plus anything necessary that comes up through the month

As for all other spending, there are a few items I need but not an awful lot so I'm really hoping it will also be low spend.

(Of course, all regular bills, direct debits, etc, will still be paid as usual)


2 comments:

  1. The tomatoes and peppers will be lovely with the carbonara - with pasta you don't really want root veg, too carby and heavy. Think I'd add mushrooms and diced butternut squash. xx

    ReplyDelete