Friday 2 February 2018

Five Frugal Fings

It's Friday so time for my ponderings!

1.  Leftovers provided the inspiration for some tasty meals.  It's too easy to throw out leftovers.  Even the council makes it easy by providing biodegradable bags and weekly collections, assuring us that it will be recycled into compost.  That's great, much better than just going into landfills, but it is still pennies in the bin.  A delicious sausage and roasted veg pie was inspired by some left over pizza sauce (and by Sue) and I've managed to use some frozen leftovers from months past as well.
2.  This is more spending to save in the longer term.  I've not had very good luck with my secateurs as they have all disintegrated on me recently.  They were the cheapest I could find (aren't they generally expensive?) so this week I gulped and spent four times as much on what looks like a really strong and powerful pair.  Fingers crossed.
I road tested them on my terribly overgrown rosemary bush yesterday and was very impressed so it's a good start to what, I hope, will be a long and happy relationship!
3.  I'm still slowly ploughing my way through the embarrassingly large stash of stuff in the freezer and slowly, gradually, spaces are appearing while the money not spent mounts up, first in the bank account and then in the savings account.  I shifted another lot over yesterday while doing my end of month reckoning.
4.  I'm using my stash of yarn to knit a dolly (adapting a Jean Greenhowe pattern) for a very special little girl.  As I already had the yarn and the pattern, it's frugal in more than one way - I'm using up what I already have and saving cash on what will be a lovely gift.  Knitting away while watching telly makes me feel I am not wasting my time in the evenings too.
5.  I made the most of a couple of fine days this week and got the washing dried outdoors.  It was lovely to see the sheets billowing out on the line and they now smell so fresh, it's lovely.  Better than using the tumbler!

How have you been frugal this week?

2 comments:

  1. I danced the hokey cokey with the washing 2 days this week, I used leftovers and yellow sticker bargains from the freezer. I made 2 dresses from stash and am knitting from deep stash yarn. I have herbs growing on the windowsills and my Lemon tree surprised me with a huge ripe fruit yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really made me laugh - in out, in out, shake it all about. A perfect description! How lovely to get a home grown lemon - what will you do with it?
      J x

      Delete