Tuesday 20 February 2018

Recipe: 'Slimming World' chips

I call them 'SW chips' because I found the recipe on the SW site and it's a recipe they recommend their members use for chips.
Chipping a small to medium potato makes it seem to go a long way, I have found.


Basically it's . . .
chip the potatoes
smear oil over them
bake them at about 200C (fan) until done.

I do a bit more than that.  Apologies if it sounds fussy, it's not really, it's dead easy.  Best to make them when you have the oven on for something else as well or you could use a halogen oven if you wanted.  I don't know how it would work in one of those fryer machines as I don't have one.

Ingredients:
spray oil
a suitable potato - I tend to use Maris Piper
(spicy seasoning, if you want.  I do for wedges but not for chips*)

What I do.
Well before I need them, I chip the potatoes and put them into cold water.  Sometimes I peel the potato, sometimes not, if depends on the skin and how I feel but, if you don't, give the skin a good scrub.  Cover the bowl and pop into the fridge until needed.
I do this because it is surprising how much starch comes out of the potato.  It's not essential, it's just what I do.

When I want to start cooking them, I turn the oven on to 200C, take them out of the cold water and pop them into a pan of boiling, salted water a few at a time so the water stays boiling, then let them boil for three minutes.  I drain them and let them steam dry which takes no time at all.

I use parchment on a baking tray as it saves on washing up.  Frugal with time or maybe just being lazy!  I use spray oil which is 1 cal a squirt.  I spray the parchment with five squirts and spread it over with my hands.  Then I put on the chips, spread apart, spray on some more oil and just smoothing it all over, again with your hands.
Pop the tray into the oven.

After about 20 mins, I check and turn them over.  By now they will have started browning and will be soft.  (If I'm baking fish in a foil parcel, this is when I pop it on the tray too).
I give them another ten minutes and they should be brown, crunchy and ready to enjoy with a little salt sprinkled over.  If you want them browner, give them another five minutes but watch them!


*If you want wedges, cut them accordingly and make up a spicy mix - something like garlic granules, cumin, coriander, cayenne, etc - there's loads of ideas on Google - and sprinkle it all over after spraying before popping the tray in the oven.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks Joy. I make my own chips/wedges too, but differ from you in that I just smear them with oil (I do it in a plastic bag) and seasoning, put them on a tray and bung them straight in the oven, I don't parboil them first. Maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's like roasties - they crunch a lot better if the outside has softened before you start baking them. I think they do anyway. :-) It could be just me though!
      J x

      Delete
  2. I'm another 'parboiler' it does seem to give an overall nice soft texture to the inside of the chips. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it definitely does make a difference. Just about everyone loves chips and it's a way of having them, even on a strict eating programme.
      J x

      Delete
  3. As a member of SW, I can confirm that the chips are both popular and delicious! I make them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I sometimes think too often but then realise it is just potato with a bit of spray oil, hardly more calorific than just mash. I hope SW is going well for you, Eloise.
      J x

      Delete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. dietter

    ReplyDelete