Tuesday 27 February 2018

Two beauties


Still warm and fragrant, these look lovely!  I'm delighted.

I just used my usual recipe
500g flour
1 heaped tsp instant yeast (the kind for breadmakers)
1 tsp each of salt and sugar
a splash of veg oil
350mls warm water.

Bung it all together, mix and knead (very therapeutic), then pop in an oiled bowl, covered with cling film, to rise.  I give it all the time it needs to double in amount.
Then knock it back, shape it as you want, cover and let it prove before baking for 35 mins.  I turn my oven to the hottest it will go and when the loaves go in I turn it down to 180 (fan).

I was pleased with the rise as it's 100% wholemeal.  It doesn't feel solid or 'heavy'.

Later on I will slice them and freeze them, all but what I need for dinner tonight.  Can't wait (but will have to).


7 comments:

  1. Looking good girl! Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good enough to eat! I love fresh homemade bread....in fact I could happily live on bread and cheese and crisps. Bit unhealthy though.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) There's a definable difference to shop bought. There's more substance to home made, more texture, more flavour - and a whole lot less cost!

    Oh! Just looked out and it's snowing like crazy now! Wow!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly the same recipe I use. Reliable every time ... unless you forget the loaves are in the oven like I did last week 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds, eh? Or unless you forget to turn the oven down from highest of high to 180 - as I have been known to do! :-)
      J x

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. There's very little nicer than fresh, home baked bread, is there.
      J x

      Delete