Sunday 18 February 2018

Five Frugal Fings

It's a bit late this week because I was away between the last post and Thursday so haven't really been frugal.
Since then, the medical diet instructions have arrived, so I have been focusing on two things: preparing for it and dealing with fridge stuff that I can't have but which won't keep.

1.  I've grated a good half a block of Cathedral cheddar (my favourite).  I know this keeps a long time but I have had it a long time and when I looked this morning there was a little bit of mould starting.  I sorted that out, grated the rest and it is now in the freezer.  It's always a useful thing to have in there anyway and, when grated, you can just spoon out what you need each time without any of those little bits that fall off the block and which somehow find their way into your mouth!  In this case waste definitely equals waist!

2.  Ditto parsnips.  They are too starchy for the next three weeks so I've peeled the one I had left, cut it into smaller bits, blanched them, floured them and open frozen them before bagging them.  OK, so it's just eight bits but that's one of the vegetables for two meals so I'm not rejecting that!

3. I was very grateful on Satrurday morning to the nice young lady who was so patient with me at the fish counter while I asked her to weigh bits of fish so I could get as close as possible to the 100gs that I am allowed to have.  I really didn't want to cut bits off and now I don't have to!

4.  And I was also very pleased to see that today is 25% off Tu clothing.  As some of my clothes are now starting to fall off me (I put on a skirt the other day and it promptly fell down again!), I'm looking for a bit of cheap stuff to tide me over the next few months.  I got some pjs, a hoodie and a shirt and am really pleased.  Still clothes related, I had a session of trying on older clothes that had shrunk < cough > and I'll be in some of them in a couple of weeks, I think.  I'm so glad I didn't chuck them now.

5.  And finally, a letter arrived, telling me how much my pension has gone up by.  It's not huge but every little helps and the extra will go straight into the old savings every four weeks.  It mounts up over time and then, when something unexpected breaks or happens, it's not a crisis.

What are your frugals at the moment?


8 comments:

  1. This wartime ration-ish diet is certainly proving to be frugal! I've measured out portions and hidden away/frozen what we don't need for this week - our portion sizes of a lot of things are now about half what they were before all this health-related stuff, so our stocks of food will last us much longer. Husband's (state) pension will be going up too, and my (private) pension goes up by about a pound a month(!). Not a huge amount, as you say, but yes every little helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiding away/putting out of reach is a great way to go. It's too easy to give way otherwise, isn't it?
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five Fantastic Frugal Fings 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't live without a freezer. It certainly stops waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an adult I've always had a freezer. My first one was a wedding present (I think) and from there on, I've always had one. So very useful.
      J x

      Delete
  5. I freeze cheese too. Sometimes just making small cubes which can be popped into cheese and potato pie. In fact, where freezing is concerned, I'll give anything a go! Well done on the Wright loss. It's such a nice feeling to fit into clothes that were too tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of small cubes - what a good idea, thanks.
      J x

      Delete