Tuesday 15 May 2018

Recipe: home made muesli

(edited because I added other things)

My lovely dad is buying me some more muesli that he and I both love.  He gets it from a mail order company and I won't be seeing him for a few weeks by which time I will have run out of the little bit I have left here at home.

Rather than buy some, I thought I would take a look in my cupboards and see what I already have that I can use to make some of my own.
This is what I found and used.

3/4 cup each oats and malted wheat flakes
20g almonds, chopped
20g chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp linseeds
15g pumpkin seeds
15g sunflower seeds
30g dried cranberries
5 dried apricots, chopped
30g sultanas
20g dried, sweetened mango, chopped
20g banana chips, broken into smaller bits
1 tbsp desiccated coconut

Place in a container or bowl and mix well.  Store in an airtight container

It tastes really good.  And I can make it as posh as I like really by what I add.  Not cheap, I am sure, although I haven't been able to cost it out as it's all things I already had in.   However, that makes it  frugal in that I am making the best use of what I already have.

4 comments:

  1. I used to make my own muesli but found that it was just too much for breakfast. Now I still use the ingredients but add them to my wholemeal bread. each loaf is different from the next and a slice at a time is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one! Actually that's a fab idea. Do you use an ordinary bread recipe and add the muesli as an extra?
      I just have 30g. It isn't much in the bowl but with milk and yogurt it turns out very filling. I love it.

      Delete
  2. No, don't cost it out. I have a feeling it could be pretty expensive! But how lovely to use up just the things you have in. I bet it tastes yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was expensive but there's stuff left for another batch and at 30g a time it lasts for ages. And yes, it was absolutely delicious!

      Delete