Thursday 31 May 2018

Thursday, 31-05-18

Good morning.

Yesterday's dinner didn't quite end up as intended.  You know how you start something and then it develops a mind of its own and ends up as something quite different?  Well - that!  I'm glad it did because it was absolutely delicious and I've posted about it as a separate entry.

Today's plans:
B:  muesli with natural yogurt and some fruit - a few blueberries and I believe I have a couple more strawberries in the garden too!  Woo hoo!
L:  ham salad.  Nice and simple.
D:  salmon, more salad, sweet potato chips (home made); fruit yogurt
S:  apple
E:  aqua, swimming and allotment

From the freezer:
Just the salmon.  Yesterday I said nothing but I was wrong, the chickpeas came from the freezer.

The frugal factor
Strawberries from the garden  Older plants and plants from runners so they don't cost me very much and actually, even the originals were gifts.  All they need is a bit of TLC now and again in the form of feed and anti slug stuff and they just keep giving and giving, firstly as fruit and then, in the autumn, in the firm of hundreds of baby plants send out on runners.  They really are great survivors.
Salad isn't shockingly expensive at the moment and when it's just for one you don't need much of anything.  I tend to use leaves (little gem at the moment), cucumber, cauliflower, carrot, pepper, radishes, tomatoes, etc, all cut into bite sized bits and mixed up.  I make my own coleslaw as, quite apart from the better value side of things, it's so much nicer.  Just cabbage, carrot, mayo and a few dried cranberries and occasionally I add a bit of curry paste.
The salmon, of course, isn't cheap, but it is a very healthy choice, delicious simply wrapped in foil and baked for 15 mins, so I don't mind paying a bit extra now and again.
You can buy frozen sweet potato fried now, it's quite a 'thing', but they're so very easy to make from scratch and much more frugal so that's what I do.
And finally, the yogurt is home made.  Not quite as frugal as it used to be now I have a maker that can filter off some of the whey to make a thicker yogurt, but much cheaper than the equivalent in the shop and, again, so much nicer.

However did I find time to teach?  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment