Monday 3 May 2021

Monday, 03-05-21 Hello Fresh

 Good morning.  
I'm continuing to enjoy Hello Fresh very much indeed and an really pleased to be able to take the last two meals over to Dad's to share with him tonight and tomorrow night.  With any luck, there will be a bit left over for his freezer too, you never know.
I should be able to keep posting this time, it being a pre-arranged and more organised visit.

I've read some shocking reviews on places like Facebook but they don't fit with my (limited, admittedly) experience or with what some of you have said in comments which have been most positive.  I guess people can be more willing to complain than to praise and, maybe, some are hard to satisfy.
At the moment, I'm very pleased, anyway.

I made the Singapore noodles, a vegan recipe to which I added some chicken and some mushrooms and just a warning.  If you make it, be aware that it makes absolutely LOADS.  I got four portions the same size as the one in  the photo.
So next time - and there will be because it was so delicious - I will cut the noodles significantly while keeping the other ingredients the same (maybe more chicken though).

I'd never have thought of using grated parsnip in something like this but it has definitely added to the overall scrumminess without being in the least way an intrusive flavour.  Something learned there.
If one keeps the base ingredients the same, it is also a very adaptable recipe.  Pork would be nice, adding beansprouts and other Chinese veg would work well too.  Or use leftover veg from the day before.  Plenty of choices there. 
And, really, it is very slimming world friendly if one uses a spray oil for the stir frying.

What I ate yesterday:

A delicious fruit platter for breakfast.  I dipped the pineapple and the strawberries in the yogurt for extra yum.

Lunch was the other portion of the Hello Fresh chicken stew which had definitely mellowed over night and was delicious.  Apologies for using the same photo as yesterday - I forgot to take another photo as Beth arrived just as I was serving up.
The Singapore noodles recipe was so delicious (see top for details) and nice and frugal too.  The only slightly unusual ingredient was the sesame oil.

Another time, I will make some at Dad's plus some sweet and sour chicken.  He loves Chinese food.
Today's plans:

B:  apple and yogurt
134 calories

L:  not-vegan Singapore noodles
Another portion of what I made yesterday.
228 calories - a lot less than I said yesterday because then I was allowing two portions and actually got four!

D:  Hello Fresh cheese and caramelised onion chicken with garlic mash and stir fried green beans
Some of the sides might change.  I think Dad might prefer ordinary mash, jersey royals or roasties to garlic mash and I may just boil the green beans.  He will probably want a gravy too; he loves gravy.  But essentially, this is what we're having.
527 calories

Body Magic:  some indoor cycling and some core exercise plus, maybe, an online walk.

Summary:
889 calories

OK, this is way too low but I will snack a bit at Dad's when I arrive - a cuppa tea with him and a few biscuits and probably some fruit.  It'll go up to a reasonable amount.

Just to remind you that while I'm working through the Hello Fresh box, I've gone over to counting the calories although I am still aware of how the recipes are fitting in with Slimming World (or not).  I'll be back on Slimming World by Wednesday and when I get another box, now I know how it all works, I can count and adapt.

5 comments:

  1. I loved my Hellofresh box too and had they been more reliable I would happily have continued even though I could make the recipes far cheaper if I bought the ingredients. I loved the convenience of it all just turning up ready to pack away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much enjoying that side of it too - it took next to no time to sort it all out and I now understand that usually things are sorted into meal bags. I wonder why mine wasn't - maybe they had run out of the bags.
      I'm going to try Gousto at some point too, but not in the next month or so. There are so many new things I want to try, including recipes on those two links I posted. Spoilt for choice. How can people say eating healthy limits one - it really doesn't! I choose my own limits and am happy with them and I know you do too.
      xx

      Delete
  2. That's really good value if you get 4 portions from one dinner meal.

    Just to let you know, husband and I shared a tin of the M&S steak yesterday, it was really lovely, just as you said. Thanks for that. Have a nice time with your Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just! One could toss in a few prawns and it wouldn't make a big difference. Singapore rice noodles is something I almost always get in a take away so now I can have it more often AND be more healthy!

      I'm glad you like the M&S steak. It's not cheap but it is great quality and so convenient.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks. I'm enjoying it. xx

    ReplyDelete