Sunday 2 May 2021

Sunday, 02-05-21 Hello Fresh

 Good morning.
I'm quite enjoying the Hello Fresh meals and have been onto the page to order another box for the beginning of June.  I'm not sure if I will have any more after then although the recipe cards are there to print out so if I see something I really fancy, I could always have a go myself.  That way I can adapt them to suit SW.

I've also found a useful section of the Good Food site, a collection of nutritious and delicious looking healthy recipes (link below under today's dinner plan) and one of a collection of Doctor Rupy's recipes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/rupy_aujla
Recipes like smoky vegetable jambalaya, veg and haloumi traybake and chilli bean stir fry, not to mention ideas for quick pickles make this a very useful resource for a slimmer who loves her veg and her strong flavours.
I thought you might be interested in taking a look at both links.

What I ate yesterday:

I do enjoy a bacon butty - or should it be not-butty as it didn't have butter.  It was good and filling too.
The warm panzanella salad was nicer than Friday, partly because of the whole second-day-flavours thing but also because this time I didn't overcook the croutons.

One to make again sometime as all the ingredients are things I already have, assuming some subs such as a wholemeal roll.

The croutons were, properly cooked, lovely.  Tear up a bread roll (they used a ciabatta roll) into crouton sized pieces.  Spray with oil in a roasting dish, add some salt and pepper and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.  Roast are around 180C for about ten to fifteen minutes until nice and crunchy.  I reckon they would do just as well in the actifry too.
The sweet potato and ginger garlic chicken stew was absolutely gorgeous.  I made it quite spicy as I like spicy stuff so it really tickled the tastebuds  but the choice is yours - just add less of the red chilli if you want it milder.  I'm glad there's a second portion for today and I will certainly make it again.
It was more like a soup than a casserole and the sauce was so good.  Definitely a winner!


Today's plans:

B:  fruit platter and yogurt
I have two quite big meals today so I'm keeping breakfast light.  I have strawberries, pineapple and kiwi so nice and exotic.
I've worked out the calories based on having some strawberries, pineapple, a kiwi and a pear, plus a Mullerlight.
245 calories

L:  sweet potato and ginger garlic chicken stew
The other portion from yesterday.  I'm very much looking forward to it.
582 calories 

D:  not-vegan Singapore noodles; kvarg
The original recipe is vegan but I am adding some chicken to it (sorry).  The recipe is here and there are some more likely looking recipes on the same page.
To stick with the same pattern, I am making both portions (it's a recipe for two) and having half today and half tomorrow.  It'll safe some time.
Rather unusually nowadays, there's no calorie info so I've worked it out on Nutracheck; it wasn't hard as Nutracheck is very user friendly.
542 calories, including the kvarg

Body Magic:  allotment work, weather permitting.

Summary:
around  1370 calories

7 comments:

  1. That's an awful lot of sugar from the fruit and carbs Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - and it was delicious. :-)
      xx

      Delete
    2. You're right, of course, but I do rather differentiate between natural sugars and added refined sugar. Generally, I stick with wholewheat versions of pasta and rice too.
      I dearly love a fruit platter though.
      xx

      Delete
    3. I love a fruit platter too and can't wait for my own strawberries to start to produce fruit. Even though a lot of fruit varieties are frowned on with the low carb diet we are planning to eat seasonal fruit as it becomes available in the garden and on the local trees. We aren't sticking rigidly to low carb and making ourselves miserable.

      Delete
    4. That's not what it is about at all, is it? The more you enjoy it, the easier it becomes to stick with it and to develop better habits. If it works . . . do it!

      Delete