Saturday 1 May 2021

Saturday, 01-05-21 Hello Fresh - photo heavy alert

 Good morning!
Well, the Hello Fresh box arrived, the text said, left on my front door step and there was a photo - but it wasn't my front door!  Thankfully, it was only next door's front door so I nipped along to get it and will explain if their security camera flags me up as a naughty person!  So not a great start but not Hello Fresh's fault, I guess.


It arrived before I had to go out so that was very good.
Unlike Gousto, all the items were together in the box rather than being separated into meals, so the first thing I did was shove all the chilled stuff into the fridge before I went out, plus salad leaves, etc.
Then, when I got home, I sat down and sorted everything according to meal.  It didn't take all that long.

And I took photos (of course!)

The box . . . nice and sturdy.
Inside . . . no leakages, everything nicely arranged.
The recipe cards . . . they look nice and clear.
All the fresh stuff.
The sachets, ranging from soy sauce to chicken stock paste plus a random sachet of teriyaki sauce that belonged nowhere.  No problem, I will use it when I make something vaguely Chinese.
The insulated bag of meat, etc, . . . 

. . . and the contents.  The steaks look lovely.
Sweet potato and ginger garlic chicken stew with lime and spinach
Cheese and caramelised onion chicken with garlic mash and stir fried green beans
Fillet steak and blue cheese sauce with rosemary fried and green beans - I paid extra for fillet steak, it didn't come as standard freebie.  That was my choice.  Dad and I both dearly love fillet steak.
Warm panzanella salad with chilli and crumbed feta.


















So, how to use this bounty, given that each one is two meals/portions.

Well, first of all, the fillet steak recipe and the cheese and onion chicken are what I will take to Dad's for Monday and Tuesday evenings.  The meat/chicken is quite short dated so they've gone into the freezer for a few days.

The chicken stew will serve me for today and tomorrow evenings (assuming I like it, that is, and I don't see why I shouldn't.

So that leaves the panzanella salad.  It's not the sort of salad that will keep overnight so what I did was divide everything in half and made half for dinner last night and having the other half for lunch today.  I was able to cook most of the recipe, just leaving the croutons to be made today.


So, moving on to what I ate yesterday:

Nothing for breakfast.  I didn't want anything; I wasn't being noble or angelic in any way.

Tiktok pasta and a simple salad for lunch.  It looks naughty but was, in fact, pretty healthy with loads of veg roasted in spray oil and the pasta was wholewheat for a bit of extra fibre.  The feta was about one and a half healthy extra As so I've overdone the As what with this and dinner too.

I forgot to take a photo before I started eating so apologies for that.  The bowl may very well have been licked clean afterwards, it was that good!







Dinner was warm panzanella salad.  A bit naughty with white bread croutons (although if I made it again, I could use a wholemeal roll for the croutons rather than a white ciabatta) and yet more feta (I dearly love feta).  It came with a green pepper so I swapped in some red and yellow peppers as I though that would go better.
OK, so I over cooked the croutons (family email stuff, ooops) but you know what?  It was absolutely delicious and very filling too.  Definitely one to make again.  I really enjoyed it and am looking forwards to lunch today.



My plans for today:

B:  bacon roll with mushrooms and tomatoes
I have a white roll that needs using up and, as I'm doing calories for a few days while enjoying the Hello Fresh meals, I may as well have it today.  I'll use spray oil to cook the tomatoes and mushrooms and have some brown sauce in the roll.
Around 365 calories

L:  warm panzanella salad with chilli and crumbled feta
In other words, the other half of the Hello Fresh meal.
It isn't really possible to reconcile this with SW values but the bumph on the recipe card says it is 399 calories per serving which sounds good to me

D:  sweet potato and ginger garlic chicken stew with lime and spinach
This has quite a lot of ingredients and if I read it in a magazine or cookery book, I might be put off by that, rightly or wrongly.  It's nice to have all the ingredients ready measured to hand, I have to say.  Basically, you roast sweet potato, cook the chicken, cook the onion, add spices, tomato puree, coconut milk, etc, let it all simmer, then wilt down some spinach, add more flavourings, stir in the cooked sweet potato and serve.
I don't think there's anything there that will spoil overnight so I'll make the lot and divide it into two portions.  Tomorrow might be nicer than today because of flavours developing, etc.
As far as slimming world values are concerned, there's not a lot there that carries syns.  Coconut milk does and oil would but I will use spray oil.  It says one portion is 582 calories although that can't be totally exact because veg comes in different sizes!

Body Magic:  I intend to spend a fair amount of time in the garden, weather permitting - working, not sun lounging!

Summary:
 Around 1,350 calories plus whatever I have in fruit




11 comments:

  1. All looks really good and tasty, thanks for posting the pictures I often wondered what they are like.

    You'll be able to keep your neighbours in garlic, apparently you get a whole bulb with every order.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do indeed - and I prefer to use garlic puree or the very lazy garlic. :-)

      Delete
  2. It all looks very good and I like that you get recipe cards. I'm seriously tempted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I think I have a freebie to hand on. If I can work out how to use it, would you like it. It's up to nine portions (I chose 4 meals x 2 portions). You would need to 'subscribe' but there's no obligation to order weekly, you just have to remember to cancel the delivery the week before - and you can leave at any point.
      Let me know with your email address and I will see if I can work it out.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Received, thanks. I'll let you know if I have any luck finding what I need to do. xx

      Delete
  3. I think it could be worth a try. I don't think I have another freebie and also I don't know if it works across different countries either. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you like the box. It's nice to try something a bit different too. I am really impressed with my Gousto box. If I have a free voucher would you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazing, if no-one else wants it, yes please, but I am aware that I've already had a freebie so ought to be back of the line really.
      xx

      Delete
  5. My daughter used to get home from work quite late in her last job and used Hello Fresh a lot. She thought it excellent. She also used to be away some nights so found that she wasn't wasting food. The meals that she cooked when I went to stay were often from the company and were always really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed what I've had so far, for sure.
      xx

      Delete