Wednesday 29 November 2017

Wednesday, 29-11-17

Good morning!

Yesterday I was NOT frugal.  It's nearly the end of the month and it's been a good month for not spending so I decided to finish it off is style and treat myself to some fruit.  Lavish, eh?

I went to Sainsbury's, which I find very expensive, but I wanted fromage frais and, frustratingly,  I hadn't found it anywhere else.  While I was there, I bought a few extras for Christmas - my daughter's vegetarian Higgedy Pie which she loves, the sausages and bacon to make the pigs in blankets (much better than buying them ready-made)  and some vegetarian stuffing mix.  I splashed out on some blueberries and in the frozen food areas I bought a bag of mixed strawberries and blueberries which will be great with my morning porridge.  As a one-off, I bought some steak too.  Planned but even so, bad me!

So - not cheap but the next bigger shop will be just before Christmas so I don't feel too bad.  I didn't waste any money on snacky, fatty stuff (like the crisps I love so much) because I can't eat them now.

Enough self-justification!  Here's today's plans.

B:  porridge with strawberries, blueberries and natural yogurt
S:  melon
D:  baked beans on toast
S:  blueberries
D:  beef stroganoff (a Slimming World/Pinch of Nom recipe and I'll report back on it later) and rice - definitely not frugal so it had better be worth it!


From the freezer:
strawberries and blueberries
bread for the toast


The frugal factor
even with the fruit, breakfast is still going to be pretty good value, less than 30p
the bread for the toast is home made and the beans are value beans with a shot of ketchup


Back to normal frugality tomorrow.




I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.

4 comments:

  1. I followed your suggestion to look at the pinch of nom site and I bookmarked the beef stroganoff recipe so looking forward to hearing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's some good recipe there, aren't there? It's a real treasure chest, I think.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have bookmarked pinch of nom for the new year. I am away for a few weeks from monday, but January will ne frugal and healthy (it really will.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's well worth a visit or ten!
    J x

    ReplyDelete