Thursday 16 November 2017

Recipe: no fat hummus

(no added fat, anyway!)

I've just made this in preparation for and I'm very pleasantly surprised.  It is lacking the oil, of course, but it's delicious and I'm looking forward to lunch.

Ingredients
50g cooked chickpeas (take off the skins for a smoother texture)
30g quark (o% fat soft cheese)
a good splash of lemon juice to own taste (from a bottle is fine)
1/2 tsp garlic puree (I use it from a tube)
pinch of cumin
salt and pepper

Method.
Take the skins off the chickpeas.  Yes, it's a bit of a fiddle-faddle but I had read somewhere that you get a much smoother texture without the skins and you certainly do.  If you like a rougher texture, leave the skins on.

Place the chickpeas in a small blender (because it is only a small amount) or in a stick blender bowl.  Zizz them until they are like fine breadcrumbs.

Add the quark, the lemon juice, the cumin and the garlic puree and zizz until it is all smooth.  Then add a bit of salt/pepper, zizz and taste, adjusting, if necessary, to suit your taste.  You might also want to add some more lemon juice.  Then zizz again.

This makes enough for one good portion and I shall have it with carrot batons, maybe a slice of melba toast, and a side salad.

Now, I wonder what other flavours I could add next time.  Tomato puree?  Bit of curry powder?  Lime juice instead of lemon juice?
Ideas, please . . .

It helped to make a very nice lunch, packed with veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment