Monday 13 November 2017

Recipe: fish pie

This is a very adaptable idea:  you can use different veg and different fish, your own amounts and seasonings and your own topping.

This is what I did.

I had some mixed potato and sweet potato mash in the freezer so used that as the topping. 

I used a smigeon of olive oil from a spray bottle (because I'm supposed to be as fat free as possible) with a splash of water and dry-fried onion, a baby corn cut into chunks, a spoonful of frozen peas and two mushrooms sliced. Other veg would be fine - broccoli or green beans would work well, for example.

Then I added the chunked fish (it was pollack but you could use anything or a mixture, prawns would be nice) and some skimmed milk - not a lot. 

It simmered for a few minutes, then I added a bit of marigold vegetable stock (any stock would do really but marigold is powder so very handy), some pepper, a little bit of salt and a sprinkle of dried herbs. 

I thickened it with some thickening granules and finally added just a very little bit of low fat soft cheese for creaminess. Stir it well, check your seasonings and bob's your uncle! It's a lot nicer than it sounds written here.

If you weren't being either low fat or frugal, you could use goodies like cream and white wine but not in my fish pie, thank you!

I poured the fish, veg and sauce into my little oven proof dish.  I spread the two-potato mash over the top and baked in at 170C (fan) until the bottom was bubbling and the top was 'colouring'.   It won't go 'golden' as there's no fat in it.

And that's it!

It leaked, didn't it?  No worry, it tasted jolly good and I might very well try a wee bit of soft cheese in the mash next time, seeing as I had no pain problems after eating this.  It might go brown then.


It is frugal because the fish is one of the cheaper kinds, I didn't use very much of any of the veg, there's no expensive fancy-pants ingredients, just what I have in and there's no added cheese or butter, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment