Tuesday 7 November 2017

The freezer challenge, day 54

I have an overloaded freezer, hence 'the freezer challenge',.
I also have a tendency to frugality, recently diagnosed gall stones, cholesterol and high blood pressure.  Oh, and more than a few stones to lose.  I like flavour but have to go very low fat.  Possible?  No idea - we will see.  It's a work in progress.


The pasta sauce yesterday was very nice and I made too much (it's hard to tell when it is a handful of this and a handful of that combined with a very variable appetite) so today I have some left.  I'm going to defrost some haricot beans and make a fairly substantial beany veg soup for lunch.

After lunch I felt some pain so I think it was just too much at one go.  I shall plan the fruity afters as a snack later on in the morning/afternoon from now on.

Today's plan:
B:  beans on toast (no butter)
S:  apple
L:  thick bean and vegetable soup.  I might make some melba crunchies to dunk (see recipe)
S:  banana
D:  fish and veg pie.  The base will be a tomato sauce, not a creamy sauce and the top will be plain mash or maybe a mix of potato and sweet potato mash with a bit of skimmed milk added or, if I go shopping today, I might get some low fat cheese spread and give that a whirl.    If I want extra veg, peas or runners, both from the freezer.   Then a simple apple meringue (no nasty pastry, just stewed apple with a meringue topping.

From the freezer:
fish
peppers
other veg
bread for toast and melba crunchies
haricot beans (too many so I'll use the rest tomorrow)

Into the freezer:
bread, baked yesterday and sliced

The frugal factor
The baked beans are Morrisons Savers and I use 1/3 of a can at a time
The bread is home made, as is the roll for the melba crunchies
The haricot beans were bought dried, then soaked, cooked, drained and frozen at home.  They are really great value that way.
The soup base is yesterday's leftovers.  Keep and use, don't chuck away.
The fish was YS, bought and frozen


No comments:

Post a Comment