Thursday 23 November 2017

Thursday, 23-11-17

Everyone knows how to make oven chips so I won't reproduce the recipe but just to say the crustless quiche with a few oven chips and a simple salad was an absolutely delicious dinner last night.

Today's plans
B:  poached egg on toast (no butter)
S:  banana
L:  fish pie with potato/parsnip mash topping, side salad
S:  melon
D:  ham and split pea soup

I've swapped lunch and dinner round as Thursday evenings are always busy.

From the freezer
bread for the toast
fish
peas (for the fish pie)
(better than yesterday's freeezer efforts anyway)


The frugal factor
home made bread - always cheap and delicious too.
just one egg - one is plenty
the fish was YS fish - I'm almost at the end of the YS fish now, sadly
split peas are great value and the ham stock is like yesterday's - saved from boiling up an unsmoked joint on Monday.  I'll make the soup like yesterday's lentil soup but with the split peas instead of the lentils.


Update.  Lovely, scrummy, filling fish pie.  I could only manage half so the rest will be frozen after it's cooled.






I have an overloaded freezer and have challenged myself to take out much more than I put in!
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
However, I have recently diagnosed gallbladder issues (with an op at some time in the future), high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.  Oh, and more than a few lbs to lose.  I like flavour but need to go very low fat.  
Is it possible?  No idea, but I'm giving it a good go and sharing the 'journey' in here.  Thanks for reading and any comments you would like to make are very welcome.

2 comments: