Saturday 9 December 2017

Saturday, 9-12-17

Now that I have a defrosted freezer (cheers) and a comprehensive list of what is now in there plus more or less where it is too (top, bottom, left, right), I hope I will be able to use it in a more organised way!  Certainly I will be fulfilling the first point in my post, 'What do I mean by frugal', which said:

"I mean making the very best of what I already have and not buying food for the sake of buying food - and that includes yellow sticker food.  If I don't need it, it is a waste of cash, whether it costs £10 or 10p"

It was definitely worth getting absolutely frozen for, even if it did take several hours, hot coffee, hot soup and the fan heater to feel properly warm again.

Today's plans:
B:  muesli, fruit and yogurt
S:  orange
L:  roasted butternut squash and butter bean soup
S:  apple
D:  savoury mince with butterbeans, mixed veg; stewed apple and raspberries with yogurt

From the freezer:
savoury mince with butterbeans
mixed veg
stewed apple and raspberries

The frugal factor:
The muesli was a gift (thanks, Dad)
The soup is home made (here's the recipe), made from garden/allotment produce
The butter beans have brought down the cost of the mince mixture considerably.



I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.
Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a Weight Watcher's gold member having lost 17lbs earlier this year. They have just changed the point value of pulses so I can have 2-3 vegetarian meals a week now or pad out a meal with lentils making it cheaper to produce. Pulses are very good for us and help stretch my pension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pulses and have loads in the freezer. They're tasty, filling and ever so good for you!
    Congratulations on reaching target and maintaining. That's brilliant.
    J x

    ReplyDelete