Wednesday 13 December 2017

Wednesday, 13-12-17

Hi!
When I wrote yesterday's entry I had totally forgotten that I was round at a friend's for lunch which turned out to be a fully blown meal.  Absolutely delicious and filled me up for the rest of the day, so yesterday turned out to be very frugal! 
Fortunately, I hadn't taken the dinner out of the freezer.

Today's plans
B:  porridge with fruit (strawberries and blueberries) and yogurt
S:  orange
L:  beans on toast
S:  apple
D:  chicken drumsticks with salad and a few SW chips; yogurt

I want to find some sort of marinade for the chicken.  I'm thinking honey, mustard, citrus and spice of some kind, all of which I have in.

Today is likely to be a bit more expensive than usual as I am going to do the first Christmas shop.


From the freezer:
Strawberries and blueberries
I seem to have a startling number of frozen chicken drumsticks so this will reduce them by two
The bread for the toast

I might prep more chips than I need to the par boiled stage and then open freeze them, just to make life a bit easier.  More in the freezer, I know, but it will be useful and I have plenty of spuds..


The frugal factor:
The oats for the porridge - such great value.
The beans are savers ones and the bread is home made.
Chicken drumsticks are not all that costly.
I got a bag of wonky peppers (all red and yellow, no greens) so pepper will feature significantly in the salad.





I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.
Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. The freezer is a great friend in a quest for frugality! I got a pot of stock out of the freezer only it wasn't stock (label fell off) but milk. I have plenty do I had arborio rice in the cupboard so I made slow cooker rice pudding. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Surprise' dinners can be a real treat. Slow cooker rice pud sounds wonderful as well as dead easy.
    J x

    ReplyDelete