Friday 22 December 2017

Friday, 22-12-17

Morning.
Thanks to the gallstones, I may have a house full of Christmas food but I'm not really all that tempted.  Definitely a silver lining there.
(I miss cheese though)

Today's plans:
B:  muesli, fruit and yogurt
S:  orange
L:  tomato and lentil soup
S:  apple
D:  pasta bolognaise


From the freezer:
The bolognaise mixture.
The soup is yesterday's second portion to avoid freezing it.
Also, the Christmas ham comes out today to cook tomorrow.


The frugal factor:
Breakfast as always - the muesli was a gift.  You'd think I would get bored with just porridge or muesli each day but using different fruits rings the changes for me and prevents this.
Lunch is the other half of yesterday's soup*.  I find it virtually impossible to make a one portion soup.  I also find that any soup with lentils in is very filling and most soups that start off with what the Hairy Bikers call the 'trinity' - onion, carrot and celery - is going to be delicious.  Yesterday's certainly was.
The bolognaise is bulked out with added veg, lentils and oats which both make it go further and make it taste better.


*It was onion, carrot, celery, passata (from garden tomatoes so great flavour), orange lentils. Marigold veg stock powder, water, bit of salt and finished off with some milk to make it 'creamy'. 




I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.
Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment