Thursday 21 December 2017

Thursday, 21-12-17

Today's frugal plans

B:  muesli with fruit and yogurt
S:  orange
L:  home made soup, probably tomato and lentil
S:  apple
D:  leftovers from yesterday - slices of beef, sprouts and carrots and I might bake a few SW chips too


From the freezer
Passata made with last summer's garden produce
Celery
A little pot of tomato and red pepper sauce
. . . and that's about it because dinner is leftovers.

(added later:  I've made Delia's vegetarian sausage rolls - a great favourite in my family.  I had exactly the right amount of frozen grated cheese and stale bread for breadcrumbs.  What are the chances of that, I wonder.  So two more things out of the freezer and used - although the made up sausage rolls will go into the freezer, uncooked, to use when needed)


The frugal factor
The muesli was a gift and the fruit is orange bits from a savers can.  The fruit is the main cost of my breakfasts but as the rest is so reasonable, that's OK'
The soup will be very cheap because of using garden produce.
The dinner is mostly or completely leftovers


I tackled a few more cupboards yesterday.  The herb and spice shelf was particularly dreadful and some of the contents were so old that they had no aroma whatsoever so, sadly, went in the food recycling.  I'm ashamed of that and it isn't something I recommend but they were not going to be used.  At least it is now in better order and I am more aware of, and can get at, what's theret.

I had to empty under the sink to give someone access to plumbing stuff, so that is now in better order too.  Not food related but still being frugal.

So what with the freezers, the fridge and the main cupboards all being tidy and organised, we're more or less ready for the festivities!



I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.
Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing really well using food up. I must try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I think it's a mindset. Because I am trying to work my freezer down, it is either use it of chuck it and I hate doing the latter. It's like throwing money in the bin.
    It can be something of a challenge at times though.
    J x

    ReplyDelete