Wednesday 20 December 2017

Wednesday, 20-12-17

Morning!
My grandson is coming over to support his doddery old nan as I put up the Christmas tree so I, in return, am doing a full roast dinner for him.  He's a student living in uni accommodation so doesn't get many!  Not totally frugal but there are some frugal elements.

So my plans today are:
B:  porridge with fruit and yogurt
S:  orange
D:  slow roast beef, roasties, stuffing (I know, but he loves it), sprouts, carrots, gravy.  I might do Yorkshires, it depends.  Then mince pie and custard, if wanted.  I will have roast beef, a little bit of the other stuff as long as the old gallbladder is behaving and no dessert as I won't have any room.
S:  apple
T:  goodness knows.  There may be leftovers and I may feel like them.  Alternately, there's soup ion the freezer.


From the freezer:
Beef
Meat gravy


The frugal factor.
You wouldn't think there's much frugality once breakfast is over but actually the beef is cut from a long joint of 'roasting beef' that was on very special in Morrisons a while ago so it's not nearly as bad as it sounds.
And Al will probably take some leftovers home with him to give his mum a break!

I was very good yesterday and tackled the tins and jars cupboard.  I now have another list of Things To Use Up to go with the freezer list.  Today might be the herbs and spices shelf if I am feeling very brave!




I'm trying to use up the multitude of stuff in the freezer.
I want to make the most of my hard earned pension so am aiming for sensible frugality in my meal planning and making.
I have gall bladder problems, high cholesterol and high blood pressure so am taking myself in hand with low fat, high fruit and veg, generally healthy meals but with plenty of flavour.
Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment