Monday 14 October 2019

Monday, 14-10-19

Good morning.
Back again after a short blogging break.  Last week's holiday was lovely.  I swam lots, walked for miles and miles and, unfortunately, ate and drank way too much.  Ditto for this last weekend at Dad's.   Stoptober didn't happen!  Ooops.  So it will be pounds and pounds on again but there you go!

Still, I'm back onto it now.
I have a nice lean gammon joint thingy that I bought before going away.  It's pressure cooking as I type this and I intend to use the slices over the next week.  It's something that keeps well (in the fridge) for a fair bit longer than most cold meats and it will be good to have some nibbling protein for those hungry times.

Today's plans:
B:  porridge with fruit and yogurt
It's cold enough now to go for porridge, proper porridge rather than overnight oats, waffles or anything else oaty!  Back to basics with something frugal, filling and comforting!
SW:  one healthy extra B

L:  roasted tomato, carrot and lentil soup
The roasting is a bit of a luxury but it does add so much to the flavour.  I put  carrots cut into bits and some onion in a roasting dish or the actifry (which I will use as it uses less power than turning on t'oven), spray it all with oil and roast it until the edges are just starting to char a bit.  Then I boil it all up with some lentils, a can of chopped tomatoes, some stock and some seasonings and zizz it smooth.  It should make enough for two so I can share it with Beth and if I want a bit more oomph, I can add some shreds of ham to mine.
SW:  should be free and also reasonably frugal - even the ham wasn't too costly and it's considerably cheaper than buy packs of pre-cooked stuff.  Tastes better too.

D:  ham/cauliflower/broccoli cheese bake, carrots.
I'll make some cheese sauce using milk and cheese for my healthy extras with up to two level tbsps of cornflour.  I described how I make cheese sauce here.
There's some lovely autumnal veg in the shops at the moment and I indulged a bit.  None of them are shockingly expensive though, so I feel virtuous, not guilty!
SW:  the cheese and the milk should be my two healthy extras while the cornflour will be two syns or less.

Ss:  fruit, ham

Body Magic:  a walk the long way round to Morrisons, salsacise, maybe a week one thingy from C25K (but at home, not out in the streets).
What with all the exercise last week on holiday, I'm well up on getting my Gold Award and don't want to let it slip now!  I've booked three aqua classes this week which should help as well as keeping up the swimming and, if last weeks over-eating causes a gain this week (if???  I mean when), at least I know the exercise is being kept up!
I've also asked about what one has to do for the last fitness award, the Platinum level, as the requirements seem more than a bit vague.  It seems that generally it's another stretch of Gold level by which time it is assumed that exercising in various ways is a part of ones life and will continue to be a part.

Dad's going to come to me in a fortnight rather than me going up to him so that means I have four weeks at home now to undo all the damage and move on.  Plenty of time!

6 comments:

  1. It must be the season for ham... It's really very good value for money isn't it. Keep the stock from it and use it as the base for a good thick veggie soup. Loads of flavour and low in calories. And as the weather turns colder we want good and filling soups. You are so motivating Joy. I do love your posts each day and miss them when you aren't posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is; worth always having a look at the ham section because you can get some real bargains (especially just after Christmas) and freeze it uncooked until needed. And, as you say, that stock . . . if it's not too salty!
      Soup is my go-to lunch during the darker months. I'm not fond of the canned or 'fresh' bought soups but I dearly love home mades of just about any kind really. Bung it in, boil it up, zizz it down and you have sheer deliciousness, often for just a few pence and it's brilliant for using up the fridge rubble. Lentils is one of my favourite thickeners, as are butterbeans which give such a creamy and smooth texture.

      THank you for the last comment which is so appreciated. This blog doesn't get anywhere near the comments that my other blog gets and just sometimes, especially when there are none, I wonder . . . you know. It's lovely to know it's helping someone else apart from me. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Joy, I admire how you keep going. I'm having a hard week so far as we've been locked in a car travelling for 6 hours. I'm also housesitting while some plumbing work goes on at my daughters. So its cold and I want to EAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be quite honest - I don't always but I do always get back on the wagon again. That's a LONG journey, no wonder you are a bit fed up. I would be too. Good luck with the housesitting too. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Welcome back Joy. Life will always have times when the food we eat differs from the norm, but that's what it is....LIFE! The great thing about SW is that it helps us manage the inbetween times. My husband has never dieted (nor needed to) but his weight fluctuates within around 5lb at any time. Permanently maintaining is not realistic so the fact that you have gained pounds is not a problem because you know how to manage it...and that's the important bit. Now I have to practice what I preach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yopu're absolutely right, Eloise. I know I have gained but I know I can deal with it and that knowledge makes a huge difference and there's virtually no sense of panic, just a will to be on track again and stick at it. Thank you for putting that into words.
      xx

      Delete