Thursday 24 October 2019

Recipe: ad hoc bean burgers

Of course, as soon as one immortalises a recipe in the written word, it no longer remains ad hoc but you know what I mean.  Nothing is too set in stone!

Start with about 10 cms of leek, 6 cms of carrot, a little bit of a chilli (to own preference) and 60g bread (crust is fine).  Chop it all up roughly and then zizz it down to crumbs.  Pop into a large enough bowl.

Take around two cups of pulses.  I used kidney beans and pinto beans but whatever you fancy really.  Mush them down and add them to the vegetables.

Grate 60g strong cheddar and add that too.

Pop in seasonings.  I used dried parsley, garlic granules, cajun spice, salt and pepper.

Then just go in with your clean hands (as dear Delia used to say) and squidge it all together.

I checked the seasonings by frying a bit in a small pan and tasting.  That's when I would have adjusted the seasonings but I didn't need to.

I was quite prepared to add some beaten egg, flour, whatever to get it to stick together but they weren't needed.

Shape the burgers, place them on something non stick and chill them in the fridge, covered, until needed.  I used a third cup measure and it made exactly five.  If I had been sensible, I would have used scaled to weigh the mixture and divided by six but there you go.  No common sernse at all!

At meal time, spray them with a bit of oil, place them in a pan and fry them until the outside is nicely browned and the inside is cooked.

The above is what I did this time.  Use whatever you fancy in the veg line and also in the spice line.  I think it would be nice with Thai type seasonings and some lime juice or you could go all Indian with curry spices or Italian with Med flavours.

The slimming world values are:
each burger is a tiny bit of a healthy extra B (maybe call it half a syn?) for the bread and a under half (call it half) a healthy extra A for the cheddar.

As you can see, I had it (well, two, in fact, but I forgot to take a photo at first) with chips done the SW way and a pepper, onion and tomato mixture.  Luvverley!
(apologies for the out of focus-ness)

No comments:

Post a Comment