Friday 16 April 2021

Friday, 16-04-21

 Good morning.

What I ate yesterday:

Breakfast was a plum, an apple and an orange.  Interestingly, after swimming, I felt very peckish but found some sugar free chewing gum in my swimming bag.  Half an hour's chewing on that and the hungry feeling had disappeared.

Lunch was beans on toast and I totally forgot that I'd said I would probably have some grated cheese.  Not to worry, it was jolly nice just as it was.  

I had an apple at about four thirty.
Dinner was the pease pudding pastry chicken and veg pie and I also had broccoli and cauliflower.

While it certainly wasn't pastry, it was really nice.  I think it was nearest in texture to a suet crust but without the elasticity and, as I added some grated cheese to it, the flavour was really nice.  I like pulses anyway and I think I will try this in different contexts and see,
The pie filling was tasty, surprising for such a cheap canned product.  I added some frozen peas and some mushrooms.  The main issue, as the photo shows, was that there was loads of sauce which bubbled up over the topping and stopped it from going 'crispy'.  Next time, I will sieve off most of the sauce and treat it as a gravy.
I really enjoyed it - it was so nice I went back for seconds and polished off the rest.
So - not pastry but tasty.

I looked up the nutrition.  High protein, low fat and the carbs are the complex, slow release type.  All good!  I hadn't added the required butter when I made the pease pudding and I added 45g grated cheese when I made up the 'pastry'.

Today's plans:

B:  cooked breakfast
I have baked beans left over from yesterday so I think it has to be ham, beans and (maybe) egg.  A nice, high protein, low fat start to the day which should fill me up until lunchtime.  I will have some tomatoes and mushrooms too
SW:  free and protein

L:  cheese, bacon and onion toastie, salad; fruit
I dearly love toasties!  I'll be using my full ration of cheese and some caramelised onion chutney for super-flavour.
SW:  two healthy extra As and one B plus three syns for up to two tbsp chutney

D:  steak, chips and salad; yogurt
Dead easy, quite a treat and very SW friendly.
SW:  two syns for one tsp oil for the chips, one syn for two tbsp bbq sauce, one syn for some superlight mayo for chip dunking and half a syn for dessert

Body Magic:  Working down the allotment, cycling

Summary:
two healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
seven and a half syns


4 comments:

  1. That pease pudding pie crust sounds great! I'm going to try it, thanks Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it. As long as you don't want it to be shortcrust pastry, because it isn't, but I think it makes a nice topping. And pretty healthy too.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding me about pease pudding. I've used it in the past as an alternative to mashed potato on shepherds pie and the like but Ced didn't like it so it fell out of favour. I will be adding it to the menu again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good. I liked it very much and, as I will have it again on Monday as I will have leftovers of roast beef to use up! Do let me know how you will use it.
      xx

      Delete