Thursday 15 April 2021

Thursday, 15-04-21

 Good morning!

Yesterday I made pease pudding!

There was a reason, of course.  I wanted to have a go at pease pudding pastry which is just a mixture of pease pudding and egg.  I looked for some cans of the former but couldn't find any so I bought some yellow split peas, found a basic recipe on BBC Good Food and set to.
I adapted the recipe slightly in the light of some comments at the bottom of the page and I used Thermione.  To my surprise, it worked out really well and the house smelled wonderful.  Very comforting and homey!
All you do is mix the pudding with an egg, add seasonings. spread it over the pie filling and bake for about forty minutes.  It isn't a rollable pastry in any way.
I'm now very happy that I couldn't find any canned.  It's so much more frugal this way.  The only downside is that it will probably only work in savoury dishes although I suppose I could try adding some sugar to the mix and just seeing.  It doesn't sound appealing but if you don't try you never find anything out

I have some cans of Aldi chicken in a white sauce which is one syn the can.  I can jazz it up with seasonings and extra veg.  So I'm going to have a go at a sort of chicken pie!  Wish me luck.

What I ate yesterday.

A very nice and filling breakfast of frittata with mushrooms and tomatoes - and a good dollop of bbq sauce
An easy lunch of leftovers and a finger salad (which I didn't finish)

Later on I had two plums.
This recipe was OK, nothing more.  The rice was a bit dull and generally the flavour was unsatisfactory.  Disappointing for a SW recipe.

Not one to make again.

Then I had a yogurt to finish off the day.


Today's plans:

B:  fruit and yogurt
My swim is later this morning so I can stick to the fruit beforehand and know there's something substantial when I get home.
SW:  free and speed

L:  cheesy beans on toast; fruit
Perfect for after a swim
SW:  one A, one B, two syns for spread

D:  chicken and veg pie (see above), assorted veg; yogurt
It's worth a try.  I rather like the pease pudding I have made and it will be lovely as a sub for mash so even if the pastry doesn't work, it won't be wasted.
SW:  the whole can of chicken is one syn and the yogurt will be half a syn.  I might be even more experimental and mix in 30g grated cheddar to make cheesy 'pastry', so lets say it's my second healthy extra A too.

Body Magic:  I have a swim booked this morning.

Summary:
two healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
three and a half syns

Not a bad SW profile, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment