Tuesday 6 September 2022

Tuesday, 06-09-22

Good morning, everyone!
After a ponder yesterday, I gathered together all the leftover veg from the Sunday roast together with some oddments of parsnips and squash from the freezer, some of my precious chicken stock, also from the freezer, and various seasonings and made a pot of fridge rubble soup in Thermione.  I haven't been using her much during the summer months but, as soup season appears over the horizon and soup being such an amazingly healthy, warming and delicious thing, not to mention frugal, I can see she will be very much earning her space again over the coming months.  

When I was working, I used to call it Saturday Soup.  Saturday was when I did my weekly shop and I would sort out all the old veg and throw them in the pot, especially if they were going a bit manky.
It was never the same from one week to the next and pretty variable in flavour but never less than very palatable and such an easy thing to take to school and warm up in the staff room microwave.

Yesterday's effort produced a thick and tasty base, nice on its own but to which I can add peas, corn, pulses, shred of leftover meat, etc, etc, etc.
Yesterday's meals

Breakfast
I'd just come home from plum picking so I had to cook a few to go in this sweet omelette.   You can't get much fresher than still on the tree an hour before, can you?

Earlier, I had an apple.
Lunch
A messy plate of jacket potato, etc.  Tasted great though.
I had two easy peelers and a banana for afters.
Dinner.
lamb pasta with lots of added veg and it was really tasty.

Unfrotunately, it all fell apart in the evenbing - not down to any hunger because I wasn't but maybe tiredness - I haven't been sleeping all that well on and off.
Oh, well, new day today!


Steps were just under 9,000 so that's good.



Today's plans

B:  scrambled eggs on a slice of toast, topped with smoked salmon and tomatoes on the side
Yum!
Mind you, I will miss my garden tomatoes - they are slowing down fast now.
SW:  half a healthy extra B

L:  fridge rubble soup (surprise!!); fruit
The soup is very thick and, I suspect, very filling.
SW:  loads of speed in the soup 

D:  cottage pie, veg; yogurt
I have a portion of savoury mince with butterbeans in the freezer and I plan to top it with some cheesy mash.  I might also add some beaten egg for extra protein and flavour.
A nice, traditional dinner.
SW:  one healthy extra A for cheese and half a syn for the yogurt

E:  Groove aerobics today

Summary:
one healthy extra A
half a healthy extra B
half a syn

2 comments:

  1. Yes I'm now thinking about soup making and crochet - a sure sign that autumn is now here!

    ReplyDelete