Saturday 3 March 2018

Five Frugal Fings

Not on Friday but that's OK, it doesn't have to be Friday except for the alliteration!

1. I popped into Morrisons on Monday to get a bit of fresh stuff but, apart from that, I haven't needed to go shopping for over a week and even then only for little things.  I am out of eggs now and milk is getting short, but the list I am making is really short even taking next week's needs into account.  Maybe I'll go shopping today, it all depends on the condition of the roads, but I won't spend much!

2.  I might be on a very strict eating regime right now, but there's enough shuffle space for me to use up leftovers (or maybe I am making that space for myself).  I'm rather pleased that I had hardly any food waste to put out for the bin-men this week.

3.  I've been searching around and have found some recipes that use tinned sardines.  Sardines are now only frugal, they are also extremely good for you and the contents of one of those little cans fits the requirements of my diet beautifully (if you drain off the extra oil).  I used one recipe this week and another one is planned in for next week.

4.  I'm still very slowly working through the contents of my freezer and food cupboard but there's still plenty, so much so that I've had absolutely no concerns about managing through the bad weather this week.  It amazes me how quickly you can hoard food and how slowly it gets used up but no complaints.  I am very fortunate and try not to take this for granted but to be grateful.  No point being frugal with thankfulness, is there?

5.  There was something I was going to say and I have forgotten it!  Never mind, I'll mention knitted doll instead.  I'm making her as a birthday present for a special little girl and I've been knitting little clothes using some of the stash of yarn in a cupboard.It's great fun making up the patterns and I know doll's clothes of this quality would cost a fortune so it is an all-round win.  With staying warm in mind, here's the latest acquisition to her wardrobe - a nice, fluffy jerkin.


What have you done that's frugal this week?

8 comments:

  1. 1) Got two lots of washing dry outside before Beast from the East arrived.
    2) Collected the cold water that runs prior to the hot from the tap to flush the toilet.
    3) We walked to the shops instead of taking the car.
    4) I bought the cheapest ink cartridges from the internet and used a £5 coupon to make them even cheaper.
    5)Made a batch of Hot Cross Buns for far less than buying 6 in the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You used ordinary flour for the hot cross buns, didn't you - they sounds absolutely delicious. Did it make a softer dough?
      J x

      Delete
  2. Afternoon Joy

    Well done of the weight loss (every "lb" helps). Isn't it amazing how quickly the weight goes on, but how slowly they come off! :-( Agree with you about adding food to the freezer, but how long it takes to get through it. It's trying to vary the meals that you're putting together, especially if you don't want the same thing every meal time! Love the dolly, one little girl will be very happy, especially with a change of clothes too!

    Have a good weekend.

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she really likes it. I know I do.
      I'm writing down each dinner and lunch I make so that I can always go and look if my brain goes blank. I'm finding lunches a lot harder than dinners because there's a lot of protein but no carbs.
      J x

      Delete
  3. I've continued living on WW2 rations ... that's frugal enough for me :-)

    ILOVE that dolly and her lovely little outfit. I would have absolutely loved her when I was little ... in fact I would be over the moon if I had her now. That special little girl is getting a very special present, she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hope so, thanks, Sue. Yes, I totally agree that your challenge is the utmost in frugality. It's going so well too, isn't it?
      J x

      Delete
  4. I pulled two frozen chicken breasts and four frozen tomatoes out of the freezer and used them for dinner! I am trying to do the freezer thing too and must work harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, ALex. You have just reminded me that I have individually frozen whole tomatoes in the freezer which I had forgotten about. With the freezer thing, I think if you just use a bit each day, you will get there - eventually! :-)
      J x

      Delete