Friday 1 November 2019

Recipe: spiced apple cakes

After my little disaster with the pumpkin cake, I was a bit put off low syn cakes but at taster yesterday, B brought along some spiced apple cake and it was so good, she shared the recipe and I had a go this morning.


And here's what I did.

Ingredients:  to make thirteen little cakes (that's what it made for me anyway!)
one eating apple cut into thirteen thin slices and the rest cut into small chunks. 
finely grated zest of one lemon
the lemon juice (to soak the cut apple in)
3 large eggs, separated
60g caster sugar
110g SR flour
2 tsp sweet spice.  I used mixed spice but you could use cinnamon instead

Method:
Preheat the oven to 160 fan.
Pop thirteen fairy cake cases in a muffin or fairy cake tray.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff.  Then add the sugar, the zest and the yolks and continue beating until it's all thick and creamy.
Sieve in the flour and spice, a bit at a time, and fold it into the mixture very carefully so no air is lost.

Then, into each cake case put a dollop of mixture, some apple chunks and another dollop of mixture.  Pop an apple slice on top.

Bake for around 20 to 25 minutes until cooked and golden.
Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool.

The only thing I would do differently is I would mix some more spice with some caster sugar and sprinkle over the top before baking, to get a shiny, sweet and crunchy topping.

I did the maths and, as I made them, they are just over two and a half syns per cake.  With a sugar topping, that would nudge them to three syns.
A price I'd be happy to pay!

2 comments:

  1. They sound lovely, I think I'll have a go at these on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They (or it - I only ate one) are very nice, I think. Definitely on the cakey side of life.
      xx

      Delete